Does this math course count toward BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MATH-320: History of Mathematics

Though this course has "MATH" designation, it's going to be unlike a typical math course in that its topics mostly cover history.
Will AMCAS still include this into BCPM?
The course outline contained topics such as "The work of Newton and Leibniz", "The Beginnings of Calculus", and "Euler, Gauss and the discovery of non-Euclidean geometry".
The course has quizzes, assignments and a final exam. Also, what's unusual about this math course is that it requires students to write an 8-page paper that is 25% of the course grade.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sounds like a history course to me. If you wanna try and get it in as math, I would just categorize it as math when you enter it in to AMCAS. If they disagree with you, theyll just change it at no harm to your app. Youve got nothing to lose. If you want it as math (aka you did well and want it to bring up your sGPA), label it as math. if you want it as history (aka if you didnt do as well and dont want it to bring down your sGPA) then categorize it as history. Again, it wont really matter b/c theyll change it to whatever they want.

sounds like a history course to me. If you wanna try and get it in as math, I would just categorize it as math when you enter it in to AMCAS. If they disagree with you, theyll just change it at no harm to your app. Youve got nothing to lose. If you want it as math (aka you did well and want it to bring up your sGPA), label it as math. if you want it as history (aka if you didnt do as well and dont want it to bring down your sGPA) then categorize it as history. Again, it wont really matter b/c theyll change it to whatever they want.

I want to increase my sGPA. If AMCAS will not treat it as BCPM, then I won't take it because I don't have much time now and I have a limited number of courses to take. I'd rather take something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to increase my sGPA. If AMCAS will not treat it as BCPM, then I won't take it because I don't have much time now and I have a limited number of courses to take. I'd rather take something else.

ooo, you havent taken it yet. I dunno. Its a gamble. You could always call AMCAS and see what they tell you. IMO i think theyll count it as a history course, because thats exactly what it is. Its just nicely disguised under the "math" category.

I need to know quickly because course registration deadline is near.