Does this plan make sense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to this site, everyone.

I'm a 3rd yr undergrad and wish to apply to medical school (MD or DO) very soon.

Here's my story: Not great grades... 3.0 GPA and a 2.8 science GPA. I expect these numbers to increase a bit after this spring semester and summer.

I am hoping a great MCAT score can help overcome these grades.

Here's my timeline, let me know what makes sense and what doesn't.

Mid-May= Ask for letters of recommendation, Take 1 summer class (BIOCHEM) , Start MCAT studying

Mid-June= Submit AMCAS without MCAT score

Early-July= BIOCHEM ends, more time to volunteer and study MCAT

August 6th= take MCAT

September 8th= Receive Scores

I will also be volunteering during this summer, as I haven't done much as of yet. When I fill out the AMCAS, can I write that I will be doing more in the coming weeks as I won't have much to write when I fill it out?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should not rush into it. Spend the next year retaking classes you did poorly in and continue to gain medical and non-medical related experiences and of course, study the MCAT. There is no rush. Medical schools aren't going anywhere. Also receiving scores in September would put you at a severe disadvantage. Do everything I said and apply 6/1/2016. Your chances of getting in will be far better next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry. It's a terrible plan since your app won't be complete till September.

1. Do not rush the MCAT. Take your time with very minimal distractions.

2. You will be autorejected from MD schools with a sub-3 GPA and sGPA.

3. Retake C/D/F and apply DO using their grade replacement policy.

4. Work on substantiating clinical, volunteering and shadowing experiences.

5. Take your time and apply next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Appreciate the feedback. I feel like the only thing that would make me wait until next year to apply is the fear of being a reapplicant.

I'm really not sure if being a reapplicant will be that much of a disadvantage, to be honest.

Worst case- I could apply this year, get rejected and be a reapplicant next year.

Thanks for the comment and feel free to prove me wrong, I'm here to learn from SDN

Just want to add that you think I'll have no chance this year anywhere if I apply?

Appreciate the feedback. I feel like the only thing that would make me wait until next year to apply is the fear of being a reapplicant.

I'm really not sure if being a reapplicant will be that much of a disadvantage, to be honest.

Worst case- I could apply this year, get rejected and be a reapplicant next year.

Thanks for the comment and feel free to prove me wrong, I'm here to learn from SDN

You won't be a reapplicant if you apply next year. Reapplicant only means you apply this year, were unsuccessful, and will have to apply again next year, which as you said isn't a good thing. What you fear is taking a gap year, which is natural. But think about the positives: you have an extra college-free year to grow, explore your interests, enjoy, and improve.

Just want to add that you think I'll have no chance this year anywhere if I apply?

Sadly no. Your GPA is too low for both MD and DO as it is. @Goro can help you out further.

time to get realistic. you're not getting into medical school this upcoming cycle. you're 2 years away from even thinking about applying, assuming all goes well

your AMCAS GPA doesn't change after you send it in to schools, even if you continue to take classes. if you apply after junior year, the GPA adcoms will see are the 3.0/2.8. and yes, you are dead in the water with that GPA

what you need to have a shot at MD:

-senior year plus a post-bac/SMP year of straight As
-a very good MCAT, 510 or higher. it is completely useless to take it this summer since you aren't applying for a while anyway (if you're smart). wait until you're ready

Reactions: 1 user
You won't be a reapplicant if you apply next year. Reapplicant only means you apply this year, were unsuccessful, and will have to apply again next year, which as you said isn't a good thing. What you fear is taking a gap year, which is natural. But think about the positives: you have an extra college-free year to grow, explore your interests, enjoy, and improve.

Sadly no. Your GPA is too low for both MD and DO as it is. @Goro can help you out further.

I think you're reading his post incorrectly. He is stating that the only thing that would make him wait another year is the fear of applying this year, not getting in, and being a reapplicant next year.

I think you're reading his post incorrectly. He is stating that the only thing that would make him wait another year is the fear of applying this year, not getting in, and being a reapplicant next year.

What I'm trying to say is, is it really that bad to be a reapplicant that I have to wait a whole year to try again?

Also, my parents are unfortunately in the mindset that a gap year is a waste of time and Carribean is a better option than a gap year (I completely disagree) and they are putting pressure on me to take it and aren't willing to budge.

There was a recent thread where a student asked the same question regarding being a reapplicant.

Yes, you are at a disadvantage. Your first time applying is your best chance of getting in. Submitting a mediocre application implies poor judgment, which you really don't want this late in the game. As others have said, improve your grades, destroy the MCAT, and work on your life experiences. Respectfully, the information you've provided suggests that there is nothing outstanding about your current application to make you a viable candidate.

time to get realistic. you're not getting into medical school this upcoming cycle. you're 2 years away from even thinking about applying, assuming all goes well

your AMCAS GPA doesn't change after you send it in to schools, even if you continue to take classes. if you apply after junior year, the GPA adcoms will see are the 3.0/2.8. and yes, you are dead in the water with that GPA

what you need to have a shot at MD:

-senior year plus a post-bac/SMP year of straight As
-a very good MCAT, 510 or higher. it is completely useless to take it this summer since you aren't applying for a while anyway (if you're smart). wait until you're ready

Appreciate the honesty.

I'm hoping an upward trend will help me get noticed as I expect my average junior year GPA after this semester to be a 3.4. Will this plus a great MCAT score make any difference?

Also, I asked someone else this, but, is being a reapplicant REALLY that bad?

There was a recent thread where a student asked the same question regarding being a reapplicant.

Yes, you are at a disadvantage. Your first time applying is your best chance of getting in. Submitting a mediocre application implies poor judgment, which you really don't want this late in the game. As others have said, improve your grades, destroy the MCAT, and work on your life experiences. Respectfully, the information you've provided suggests that there is nothing outstanding about your current application to make you a viable candidate.

I hate asking this but I have to know just in case of a worst case scenario.

Do US schools (MD or DO) know if you apply to Carribean medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

Take your time and do it once, correctly.

Now would be a good time to inform your parents of your adult status.
Lol.

I swear when I told them about SMP programs or a gap year instead of the Carribean, they practically wanted to disown me.

WTF, right?

Lol.

I swear when I told them about SMP programs or a gap year instead of the Carribean, they practically wanted to disown me.

WTF, right?

All you can really do is educate them. Going to the Caribbean would be a horrible option unless you strike out with US allopathic and osteopathic medical schools several times. Even then it's still probably a bad option careerwise, but at least you know you're not cut out for American medical schools by that point.

I would wait to apply next year. Taking the MCAT that late and applying the same cycle is not a good plan. I'm probably taking my MCAT that day and I won't be applying until next year; I would suggest the same to you.

You definitely need better grades as well, so I might suggest a post bacc or SMP if you don't get above a 3.2.

Appreciate the honesty.

I'm hoping an upward trend will help me get noticed as I expect my average junior year GPA after this semester to be a 3.4. Will this plus a great MCAT score make any difference?

Also, I asked someone else this, but, is being a reapplicant REALLY that bad?
no, a 3.4 for 1 year is not nearly high enough. a 3.4 is what you should be aiming to get your overall GPA to (ie, with straight As). you need this plus a great MCAT score (for MD)

here's why being a reapplicant hurts you:
1) as a reapplicant, you're expected to have shown how you've improved since the last application. many schools have questions on their secondaries about this. other schools only allow people to apply 2 or 3 times. furthermore it shows poor judgment to apply with such a weak application
2) applying to medical school is time-consuming. all that time writing your personal statement, arranging for you letter writers to send letters to schools, writing secondary essays, etc is time you are not getting As and studying for your MCAT

Question: Do you have to have already taken a class to audit it, or does the rule vary from uni to uni?

All you can really do is educate them. Going to the Caribbean would be a horrible option unless you strike out with US allopathic and osteopathic medical schools several times. Even then it's still probably a bad option careerwise, but at least you know you're not cut out for American medical schools by that point.
My biggest arguments for anti-Carribean are the low match rates and the substandard training.

I had cost as a con before, but SGU's cost for 1 year is about 50,000. As I don't have many medical schools in my state, I will probably be going out of state, which will cost about the same for a public MD school.

Can someone clear this up?

My biggest arguments for anti-Carribean are the low match rates and the substandard training.

I had cost as a con before, but SGU's cost for 1 year is about 50,000. As I don't have many medical schools in my state, I will probably be going out of state, which will cost about the same for a public MD school.

The cost of attendance issue is a non sequitur. Do not go to the Caribbean. Full stop.

forget about the cost difference. people like you are exactly the kind of people the caribbean preys on: students who haven't shown they can handle the rigors of med school

is it really that bad if your application isnt complete till september, even if everything except the mcat is done?

Yes, it can pose significant challenges. Many schools do admissions on a rolling basis, which basically means they accept in "waves." The longer you wait to apply, the fewer spots you are competing for. Applications can be sent in in June, and if you're not done in September, that's 4 months they could be reviewing your application wasted.

Even with a perfect MCAT, you're not getting into medical school. You have to convince Adcoms that you can survive a medical school curriculum. Thus far you have yet to do that, and on top of it, you're displaying a good deal of ignorance about the process.

First off, retake all F/D/C science coursework.
Then think about DO schools, because that will be your fastest route to your goal. If you're boning for the MD, then ace everything from now and, and consider a post-back or SMP, along with a great MCAT score.

AND, get all your ECs in, to show us that you know what you're doing.

New to this site, everyone.

I'm a 3rd yr undergrad and wish to apply to medical school (MD or DO) very soon.

Here's my story: Not great grades... 3.0 GPA and a 2.8 science GPA. I expect these numbers to increase a bit after this spring semester and summer.

I am hoping a great MCAT score can help overcome these grades.

Here's my timeline, let me know what makes sense and what doesn't.

Mid-May= Ask for letters of recommendation, Take 1 summer class (BIOCHEM) , Start MCAT studying

Mid-June= Submit AMCAS without MCAT score

Early-July= BIOCHEM ends, more time to volunteer and study MCAT

August 6th= take MCAT

September 8th= Receive Scores

I will also be volunteering during this summer, as I haven't done much as of yet. When I fill out the AMCAS, can I write that I will be doing more in the coming weeks as I won't have much to write when I fill it out?

Even with a perfect MCAT, you're not getting into medical school. You have to convince Adcoms that you can survive a medical school curriculum. Thus far you have yet to do that, and on top of it, you're displaying a good deal of ignorance about the process.

First off, retake all F/D/C science coursework.
Then think about DO schools, because that will be your fastest route to your goal. If you're boning for the MD, then ace everything from now and, and consider a post-back or SMP, along with a great MCAT score.

AND, get all your ECs in, to show us that you know what you're doing.

Thanks for your input, I hear good things about you, Goro.

I disagree with the perfect MCAT score comment. I think that will undeniably get me looks by at least a few MD or DO schools , but you seem pretty sure so I'll just go with it.

I don't have any D's or F's, just one C in Orgo 1 and the rest are C+ or B's. Should I still retake those?

Do you advise that I should apply after senior year?

Assuming I get all As from here on out, my overall GPA will be 3.35 (I calculated it) and 3.23 for science GPA (without retakes). Its unlikely, but that's where I'm at.

Methinks this one could use a couple more years on the vine.

Reactions: 2 users
Any C's or C- or C+, yes.
I don't have any D's or F's, just one C in Orgo 1 and the rest are C+ or B's. Should I still retake those?

Yes. You should apply with the best possible package, once.

I'm not a fan of magic thinking, but yes, schools like rising trends.
Assuming I get all As from here on out, my overall GPA will be 3.35 (I calculated it) and 3.23 for science GPA (without retakes). Its unlikely, but that's where I'm at.

Any C's or C- or C+, yes.

Yes. You should apply with the best possible package, once.

I'm not a fan of magic thinking, but yes, schools like rising trends.
Thanks Goro. I think I'm going to get my Letters of Rec this summer since I have made good relationships with a few professors. But if I don't apply this summer as you advised, would I need to get new letters for NEXT summer if I apply then? Do you only need new letters if you reapply?

Also, how much would it hurt to submit the AMCAS without MCAT scores?

1. I think I'm going to get my Letters of Rec this summer since I have made good relationships with a few professors. But if I don't apply this summer as you advised, would I need to get new letters for NEXT summer if I apply then? Do you only need new letters if you reapply?

2. Also, how much would it hurt to submit the AMCAS without MCAT scores?

1. Use an independent service like Interfolio. It costs money, but it allows you to hold onto letters for multiple years without having to ask again (and keeps things confidential).

2. It isnt that it hurts to submit AMCAS without a MCAT score, its that you won't be getting scores until September 8th so your application will not be complete until then (not to mention the time to submit secondaries and pay/process secondary application fees), which is late in the cycle, especially when you consider that you are a weak applicant as it is.

1. Use an independent service like Interfolio. It costs money, but it allows you to hold onto letters for multiple years without having to ask again (and keeps things confidential).

2. It isnt that it hurts to submit AMCAS without a MCAT score, its that you won't be getting scores until September 8th so your application will not be complete until then (not to mention the time to submit secondaries and pay/process secondary application fees), which is late in the cycle, especially when you consider that you are a weak applicant as it is.

Might be a silly question, but how do my professors send the letters to Interfolio?

Do I have to give them my account number on Interfolio or something when I ask them to write it?

Might be a silly question, but how do my professors send the letters to Interfolio?

Do I have to give them my account number on Interfolio or something when I ask them to write it?

Same as AMCAS. You designate them as letter writers and it generates a set of instructions for them.

Also, my parents are unfortunately in the mindset that a gap year is a waste of time and Carribean is a better option than a gap year (I completely disagree) and they are putting pressure on me to take it and aren't willing to budge.

Solution: agree to go Caribbean if your parents pay for the whole thing (tuition + cost of living). It should only run about $300,000 for four years.

Solution: agree to go Caribbean if your parents pay for the whole thing (tuition + cost of living). It should only run about $300,000 for four years.

Plus, the parents should be held responsible if/when OP lands up with a useless MD degree without a residency.

I hate to say this, but OP is an adult and should manage his/her own decisions without parents' interference.

Doesn't financial aid cover most of MD, DO, and Caribbean tuition?

Do you have to pay out of pocket?

Same as AMCAS. You designate them as letter writers and it generates a set of instructions for them.

So all I tell them is to write a letter (nicely), designate them as writers on AMCAS and AACOMAS, and AMCAS and AACOMAS takes care of the rest?

I believe AMCAS has their own system, so only AACOMAS requires Interfolio, correct?

So all I tell them is to write a letter (nicely), designate them as writers on AMCAS and AACOMAS, and AMCAS and AACOMAS takes care of the rest?

I believe AMCAS has their own system, so only AACOMAS requires Interfolio, correct?
Interfolio has instruction on this, so does AMCAS.

Yes, it can pose significant challenges. Many schools do admissions on a rolling basis, which basically means they accept in "waves." The longer you wait to apply, the fewer spots you are competing for. Applications can be sent in in June, and if you're not done in September, that's 4 months they could be reviewing your application wasted.

Is this plan even considered late for DO schools?

They typically have later deadlines than MD schools...