Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Does this seem like a good degree?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Stumpyman, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Stumpyman

7+ Year Member

Hey, I'm really interested in this degree plan I found at the university I'm transferring to. The degree is a 5 year joint degree, and it gives you a BS in Biology, and an MS in Biomedical engineering. It hits all the pre reqs, and its not an SMP. Also, I went to college a year early, so I thought the 5 years would be better expecially considering the average age of matriculants. Also, this is in TX. (I'm a tx resident).
    Do you think this joint degree could significantly imporve my chances at getting into a medical school in TX (given a decent gpa - atleast 3.7+)?
    I've always been really interested in Biomedical engineering, so this does seem like a pretty cool program.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BMEN

BMEN Bow ties are cool.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    the program seems cool esp since its joint with SW. Just see faculty member research profiles for the BME to see if you are interested in their work. Nothing sucks more than doing research that is not your interest.

No idea how good it would be for medical school. I assume they dont care about masters?

4. isoquin

isoquin Allopathetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you love the topics, then go for it. The hypothetical of "is this good if I do it and get a stellar GPA?" is just that - a hypothetical. If you think you will get something out of it that can be used in your career as a physician, there's plenty of reason to get the dual degree. If however you are doing it because you just think it looks good (not that I think you are), you are better off not wasting the additional year. Basically what I'm saying is do it if you will use it. Otherwise no.

5. sounds okay but biomedical engineering isn't exactly known for generous grading

6. raltima07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ain't that the truth

7. Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

This.

And no, I don't think this program would give your application that much of a boost over just doing a standard 4 year Bachelor's so only do this if you really want that masters really bad (keeping in mind the post quoted above).

8. Stumpyman

7+ Year Member

Ok, well I guess my biggest fear of the program is that the engineering part will be detrimental to my GPA. I'm pretty much leaning towards staying with my original standard 4 year Biochem major rather than risking the GPA.

9. ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should try talking to people who have done it, because this is hugely school dependent. Biomedical engineering is a joke at my school.