Does this sound dismissive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GhostTown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in the process of writing admissions essays for MSW. I have experience, both volunteer and paid, on a local crisis hotline. I was going to speak about this experience, and then when I went to write about why I'm choosing to pursue an MSW I was going to lead with a statement such as, "I plan on pursuing an MSW to gain the credentials and skills necessary to enhance the helping relationship beyond that of a fifteen minute telephone call" (or something to that effect, right now this statement is just in a note in outline form). I was going over this with a friend (who happens to be a therapist), to which she replied, "Were you really thinking about putting that in?" She said it sounded dismissive of the work that the hotline does and that "helping relationship" seems too formulaic (and that I should keep with something like "connecting with individuals"). I was thinking that the work at the hotline is indeed limited to fifteen minutes per call, reassurances, reflective listening, etc. and how we can't provide psychotherapy, case management, etc. I thought I would post on here to get some more feedback. Thank you very much for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I would not downplay your crisis intervention work or experience. You could instead acknowledge it for the incredible learning opportunity that it has been but express a desire to expand upon these skills into other areas of the field and why. It is very important work and really does give you some great experience worth mentioning (in a positive light) in your application. In fact, I recently just attended a lecture on assessing suicidality that was given by the director of our local crisis line (also an MSW). There would really be no reason to downplay any of your experiences in your pplication, if they weren't worth mentioning you shouldn't mention them, if they are, then you should make them sound amazing. just my $00.02.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi wesleysmith! Thank you for your feedback. I certainly didn't mean to downplay the crisis intervention work or experience, and it certainly is worth mentioning. I just wanted to say something to the effect that I have this experience and skills set, and that I want to advance to the next level. You've given me some ideas to consider on how I can better convey this! Thank you.

I don't think helping relationship sounds trite though. I think "connecting with others" sounds like you are saying "I love to talk to people." That is probably just preference of the reader rather than bad or good.

I agree with Wesley. I like the sentiment you express of wanting to move your skills beyond a brief conversation. I think you can probably find a way to express this without downplaying the skills you do utilize.