Does this sound feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CycleGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my plan to take the MCAT. Has anyone done something similar to this/does this sound like a good and reasonable plan? Any other suggestions?

I am a sophomore right now, and I am planning on taking Physics II (last pre-req) this summer. While taking physics over summer I plan on beginning to familiarize myself with the MCAT and its format etc, as well as begin to start reviewing content.

In the fall, I plan on taking 12 units (min. to keep my scholarship):

-Biochem
-Cellular and Developmental Bio
-Physics II lab
-A 1 unit chem lab safety class to bring me up to 12
-3 credits of research (9 hours per week)

As it looks right now, I am going to pack these classes on only MWF, thus leaving tuesdays and thursdays completely open.

I plan on taking the MCAT in the during the winter date.

So if I begin familiarizing in the summer, and then study throughout the semester with this proposed schedule for the fall semester and take in winter, does this sound like a good plan?

Any suggestions you guys have? Or alternative methods.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Junior who's applying for the upcoming cycle and I took my MCAT at the end of January. I would definitely recommend taking it then to anyone who has finished the prereqs and has time to study or take an MCAT course. I felt a lot less pressure going into it because I knew that if I didn't do well, I could retake in March or May and still have plenty of time to study. I ended up doing good, so I've been able to concentrate on classes and take it easy before I get into the full application process.

The only negative was that it kind of hung over my head during Christmas break. I had finally finished my exams and wanted to relax and do nothing for a little while, but I had to study more for the MCAT. It wasn't awful, but it doesn't make for the happiest break. It paid off in the end though.

My advice- go for it! I'd do it all the same if I had to do it over again.

It this too long to study for and review content? From what I read on here many suggest not studying longer than 4 months as you will forget things. What if I study fall semester every tuesday and thursday and on weekends, and then take practice tests at the end of the year and all winter break, when I am done with content review?

Is this too long of a period? Anyone else who has studied throughout a semester and had success or tips/insight/input