Does this sound like a good plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nchop28

Reaction score
I just finished my junior year of college and don't have a very high GPA or substantial EC/shadowing. This summer, I'm hunting for every shadowing and volunteering opportunity possible, and I am going to get a job in a medical clinic. I am also going to study for the MCAT. I will be taking two science summer classes at my school that I know are easy and can raise my GPA. Because I really only have like 9 credits left for my major, I was thinking about tacking on a minor to my education so I can complete my senior year as a full time student and raise my GPA. The June/July after my senior year, I will be taking the MCAT- I should be prepared for it because I am starting to study now. I plan on enrolling in my school's 1 year Masters in Physiology program after my senior year, and this program is well-known and has linkages. After I get my MCAT score in August after my senior year, I will send my AMCAS to MD schools. I expect to get interviews/letters from the MD schools during my enrollment in the Masters program. If I get accepted, I will attend medical school in the fall.

Is this a good plan? Because I'm sending my AMCAS right before starting the Masters program, MD schools won't see the grades I get from the program. Does that mean people who complete a Masters after undergrad take a gap year AFTER completion of their Master's program so the MD schools can see the full year grades?

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan to do an SMP anyway, then why do you want to take extra classes to bring up your GPA? Why not focus on ECs?

If you plan to do an SMP anyway, then why do you want to take extra classes to bring up your GPA? Why not focus on ECs?
Aren't my grades from undergrad and SMP combined, and that is what admissions counsel will see?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't my grades from undergrad and SMP combined, and that is what admissions counsel will see?
It is no longer about grades, for some people it is mathematically impossible to raise their GPA. The purpose is to show that you of now is not you of then and you can handle medical school. Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
AMCAS app puts UG and Graduate GPAs in different categories.

Also, you should never apply to med school nor take MCAT while in SMP. Stick to this forum for a while, and understand the process of reinvention.

Also, you should never apply to med school nor take MCAT while in SMP. Stick to this forum for a while, and understand the process of reinvention.
3.0. I was going to take the MCAT in April/May of my senior year and send my application in the summer.

3.0. I was going to take the MCAT in April/May of my senior year and send my application in the summer.
SMP is very risky (and expensive), if you struggled throughout undergrad with relatively easy material, make sure you now have all the skills and ability to perform well on SMP, it will be a lot harder because you will be taking medical school classes and you will need to ace them.