Does this type of Nonclinical Volunteering count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

working123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can tell from the title but I just was wondering does the type of nonclinical volunteering matter?

I haven't got much time to do something on a long-term basis but I sorta have been making it up through volunteering on certain occasions when I'm free. For example, I once did ~40 hours at a national conference that hosted 10,000 people and ~8 hours on my school's annual Day of Service.

I have some hours from philanthropic drives and whatnot, but I was hoping I could include the two I just mentioned in my apps as well. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, you can count 8 hours per year for 3-4 years as a "Day of Service". How did the national conference help people? Why did you volunteer for that cause?

If you like helping people, make it a priority. If you don't like helping people, treat it like a check box, do your annual day of service, list that and hope that schools are dazzled by the strength of your application in other realms.

You typically want to demonstrate longitudinal commitment to a particular volunteering activity. The Day of Service thing being only 8 hours and (presumably) only annually isn't likely going to represent a commitment. The national conference as a one-off might be worth mentioning, depending on what it entailed.

I would suggest that you get involved in some kind of community service, such as tutoring, non-profit work, working in a soup kitchen, etc. More than 6 months of commitment to such an activity would be better than either of the things you've listed, at face value.