Does tinnitus occur in patients with 'dead ears' or no cochlear function?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rEliseMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. I was reading an audiology text and pondering the many different possible causes of tinnitus. Then I got curious... do we know of any studies (basic searches left me with more questions than answers) that have considered people with 'dead ears' or no cochlear function? What did they find? Do people with no cochlear function still experience tinnitus?

Members don't see this ad.

Many sources will tell you that tinnitus is more prevalent in those with more severe SNHL. I can say for sure if that includes dead ears. There are many cases of tinnitus in which the source of the disturbance seems to clearly be beyond the cochlear, on the neural level, so I would think that it is entirely possible.

Most of the audiology-related reading I do is on tinnitus, but it's still stands to me as such a fascinating and elusive condition. It's what I hope to concentrate my research on...after my multiple, multiple remaining ed. years are over.

There are many cases of tinnitus in which the source of the disturbance seems to clearly be beyond the cochlear, on the neural level, so I would think that it is entirely possible.

Do you happen to still have citations for those cases lying around? I'd love to read the reports.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! :) I'll read that today at work, haha.