Does Top or high class Pharmacy college matter for becoming a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crossfinger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the ranks in pharmacy schools
because I want to apply to Roseman University for early decision.
I have BS Biochemistry degree and Roseman University does not require PCAT score if I have Bachelor degree.
The rank of this university is 82th in overall pharmacy schools but passing NAPLEX of this university is over 90%.
I dont want to be stressed by waiting an acceptance mail......T_T
I think I have high chance to get into Roseman University.

So I am asking how the ranks of the pharmacy schools make different in the way of becoming an pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

Rank doesn't really mean anything. Pretty much all of the schools have >90% NAPLEX pass rate. If you want to do retail, it doesn't matter at all. If you want to do a residency, your school might matter (mostly if a new school).

Don't let anyone tell you rank doesn't matter. Should it matter? No. Does the world work fairly as such? Of course not. Anyone who says rank "doesn't matter" is not doing you a favor because the world has biases and that is simply reality.

If a manager is hiring a pharmacist, the manager will likely place greater emphasis on your experience and his or her personal interactions with pharmacists from your school as a frame of reference. But if you are from California and applying for a job in Alabama, and the manager doesnt have any real frame of reference, holding equal resumes from two candidates, the applicant from a more reputable school will likely get an interview callback first.

And if the job you are applying for is more academic in nature, (e.g. residency, faculty, etc), your schooling matters even more.

But at the end of the day, if you make yourself into an exceptional cant-miss applicant, it wont matter if you graduated from Trump University School of Drugs.

Moral of the story? Focus less on rank and more on what you can accomplish at the school you choose. Be as diligent in selecting a school as a school is in selecting it's applicants. And pick a school solely on the basis of what that school can do for you and how far it can get you. You're paying them 200k. They had better be able to help you reach your goals. And then work for that goal by turning yourself into that cant-miss candidate.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The cost of tuition and cost of living is more important. CVS and Walgreens will hire anyone with a license. If you want to do a residency you want to get into a school that is well connected.

The cost of tuition and cost of living is more important. CVS and Walgreens will hire anyone with a license. If you want to do a residency you want to get into a school that is well connected.
Hi,
What's residency? Not all pharm students have residency, do they?
Can you get hired by a hospital after graduating?

Hi,
What's residency? Not all pharm students have residency, do they?
Can you get hired by a hospital after graduating?
Nope, you need to do a residency in order to obtain a job at a hospital. However, in saturated states like Cali / NY, residency doesn't guarantee anything :barf:

Reactions: 1 user
Don't let anyone tell you rank doesn't matter. Should it matter? No. Does the world work fairly as such? Of course not. Anyone who says rank "doesn't matter" is not doing you a favor because the world has biases and that is simply reality.

If a manager is hiring a pharmacist, the manager will likely place greater emphasis on your experience and his or her personal interactions with pharmacists from your school as a frame of reference. But if you are from California and applying for a job in Alabama, and the manager doesnt have any real frame of reference, holding equal resumes from two candidates, the applicant from a more reputable school will likely get an interview callback first.

And if the job you are applying for is more academic in nature, (e.g. residency, faculty, etc), your schooling matters even more.

But at the end of the day, if you make yourself into an exceptional cant-miss applicant, it wont matter if you graduated from Trump University School of Drugs.

Moral of the story? Focus less on rank and more on what you can accomplish at the school you choose. Be as diligent in selecting a school as a school is in selecting it's applicants. And pick a school solely on the basis of what that school can do for you and how far it can get you. You're paying them 200k. They had better be able to help you reach your goals. And then work for that goal by turning yourself into that cant-miss candidate.
Trump University School of Drugs.

Praise KEK

Nope, you need to do a residency in order to obtain a job at a hospital. However, in saturated states like Cali / NY, residency doesn't guarantee anything :barf:
It sounds like we have to do residency right after finishing school because it goes through school's connection. If we don't do it, then we can never work at a hospital. Am I right?