Does transcript matter when applying for jobs? (one semester academic probation due to low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

believee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in second year and I have a permanent transcript record of being on academic probation during my first semester of P1 due to falling below minimum GPA. My GPAs after the first semester are outstanding afterwards (if anyone is wondering how, I basically worked too much my first semester and after I got put on probation I quit the job which gave me time to study.. I didn't have that time during my first semester), and so my cumulative GPA is pretty good too.

I am not sure what kind of pharmacy field I want to be in the future but does that "one semester academic probation due to low GPA" record on my transcript get in the way when I apply for job or residency later, even if my cumulative GPA is good/above cuttoffs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For a residency maybe, but for a job highly doubtful.

No one looks at transcript, and it is your choice to list GPA on your CV/Resume when you apply to jobs.

Rule of thumb is that you don't list GPA unless you have >3.0. And honestly, no one gives a **** if you do have >3.0 (except for residency, they want the high GPA work horse that will happily take all the grunt work without question).

90% of pharmacies would rather hire a 2.8-3.0 gpa that has good social skills and meshes well with their team rather than the awkward 4.0 student with zero social skills and team work abilities.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am in second year and I have a permanent transcript record of being on academic probation during my first semester of P1 due to falling below minimum GPA. My GPAs after the first semester are outstanding afterwards (if anyone is wondering how, I basically worked too much my first semester and after I got put on probation I quit the job which gave me time to study.. I didn't have that time during my first semester), and so my cumulative GPA is pretty good too.

I am not sure what kind of pharmacy field I want to be in the future but does that "one semester academic probation due to low GPA" record on my transcript get in the way when I apply for job or residency later, even if my cumulative GPA is good/above cuttoffs?

Question 1: What is your GPA is it above a 3?
If yes, then you're set.

No one cares, especially when you have a legitimate excuse.

Here's a comprehensive list of all of the places that ask you for your transcripts:
1. Residency programs
2. Fellowships
3. Rho Chi reunions

Nobody else cares.

Reactions: 4 users
Mainly for a residency. Fellowships less so, it can make a difference but there are other qualities that are a priority. Most other less clinical fields put much weight not it.

Plus you have a reason and lesson to explain.

Nobody cares about GPA. You don't even list that on your resume... in fact my school doesn't even give you a GPA, just a class rank. When you have a PharmD and license it's just assumed that you have the necessary knowledge. They are looking more at personality, work ethic, communication skills, etc.

graduated in 2016. got a job in managed care two months ago and my GPA didn't come up anywhere along the hiring process.

Is academic probation displayed on your transcript?

Been on academic probation at two different schools, and it appears on neither.
Ironically Dean's List does appear though.

Total GPA, failures with retakes superscripted, and the duplicate entries for the same class will tell the story to the residency director or hiring manager.

Last edited:
No one looks at transcript, and it is your choice to list GPA on your CV/Resume when you apply to jobs.

Rule of thumb is that you don't list GPA unless you have >3.0. And honestly, no one gives a **** if you do have >3.0 (except for residency, they want the high GPA work horse that will happily take all the grunt work without question).

90% of pharmacies would rather hire a 2.8-3.0 gpa that has good social skills and meshes well with their team rather than the awkward 4.0 student with zero social skills and team work abilities.
You hit it on the spot. In retail you have to be social and know how to lead a team. They don't look for the 4.0 GPA guy who you can't even understand what the hell they are Saying.

Is academic probation displayed on your transcript?

Been on academic probation at two different schools, and it appears on neither.

Total GPA, failures with retakes superscripted, and the duplicate entries for the same class will tell the story to the residency director or hiring manager.

Mind private messaging me your story? (schooling)