Does undergrad matter: Transfer to UGA(in-state) or Ohio State(out-of-state)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parklife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I went to my dentist, I was impressed that he went to Wake Forest for undergrad. Why? Because it's wake forest.

I have been wondering... do dental schools and clients look at where you went for undergrad? I currently attend an unranked state school, and I'm looking to transfer anyways. It's just not cutting it for me here. Here's the run down:

UGA: In the regional south, UGA is a pretty good school. It's decently ranked. It has some strong programs. It's just a good in-state flagship school to go to. If I choose to go to UGA, I will have to stay at my current school for one more semester and transfer for spring 2013. I am a freshman, so next year I will be a sophomore. I have a pretty good schedule lined up for next semester at my current school. I was thinking it would be cheap for me to go to an in-state school. After all, organic chemistry at Harvard is organic chemistry at UGA. Science doesn't change...but then there's the dental admission factor and undergrad factor.

Ohio State: Ohio State is renowned. Excellent research school. Excellent dental school, pharmacy school, med school. It's just great. I would love to be a buckeye. The only points here is will it be harder than UGA and it will cost a lot more being out-of-state(granted I already have 40 something credits done in-state on scholarship). I have been accepted for fall 2012 transfer, and I can be a buckeye any time I wish.

In the dental community, what do you all think?

Also, it should be noted that GMC dental school is really, really cheap for UGA residents. It's around 80k I'm not sure if it's a GOOD dental school. I would also want some input on this. MCG is my safety school. MCG has opened up a UGA campus for med students, and I'm wondering if I could possibly do some networking on that front.

OSU dental school is impossibly hard to get into..but case can be my backup if I want to get in-state?

I'm really confused and time is running out. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

When I went to my dentist, I was impressed that he went to Wake Forest for undergrad. Why? Because it's wake forest.

Nobody cares about your undergrad once you're a dentist except during football/basketball season. Some patients do care about what dental school or residency program you went to, but most do not.

Where do you want to live?

If you want to live in GA, stay in GA.

If you want to live in OH, go to OH.

If you want to live in some place other than GA/OH, go to GA. It's your best resource and MCG is a good dental school, probably as good as OSU.

Go where it's #1 cheapest with #2 a good education in #3 what you want to do and #4 where you want to eventually live.

Rank #1 to #4 but the best thing you can do now is keep your costs low. Period. Stay away from case, good school but too expensive.

Yeah, I want more insight on MCG. MCG is actually opening up an Athens campus, so that's another reason I want to go to UGA. UGA also has a very good pharmacy school, should I choose to go that route.

I've read on here that undergrad matters for some dental schools and doesn't for others. Does the general public even understand dental schools? There isn't a ranking system for dental schools, so I always thought it was either by prestige of name or regional reputation.

That's valid with where you want to live, but I think it's too much to plan that far ahead. I've done a lot of research, and the conclusion is you can't plan too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't matter as long as it's an accredited 4-year university...you're good to go! can't go wrong with cheap tuition--that's what I did and no regrets.

It really doesn't matter. Go where it is cheaper. MCG accepts only instate candidates so its better odds to get into school there.

School is what you make of it...there will be idiots and smart people wherever you go. Like you said the sciences don't change so how much you get out of a program depends on your study habits etc....

Do well in school and the DAT and you can go to Country Bumkin CC and still get into dental school. I took my pre-reqs at a top 300 university and learned plenty to get a 24 AA on the DAT and get into great dental schools...

Good luck!!!

Yeah, I want more insight on MCG. MCG is actually opening up an Athens campus, so that's another reason I want to go to UGA. UGA also has a very good pharmacy school, should I choose to go that route.

The Athens campus isn't for dental

Go where you are happiest. I am finishing up at a state school that has a decent reputation in the northeast and got into HSDM. Its less about where you go and more about what you do when your there. As a side note minimizing debt is something to consider. I saved a boat load but you need to ba happy too.

Took the initiative.

nyu - undergrad matters
in-state-steudents vs out of state doesn't matter

upenn - undergrad school matters
in-state vs out of state doesn't matter

uva

ghsu

detroit mercy

mish

ohio state

uconn

case western

uni of washington

--

Thanks for nearly steering me in the wrong direction guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
You asked for our opinions. I went to KSU and got into GHSU.

Eh, good point. Well, for those wondering:

Yes. Undergrad matters.

I was actually asking for DENTIST'S opinions on building clientele regarding undergrad. I can easily find myself being asked "Oh, so Dr...., where did you do your undergrad?"

And I'd proudly tell them where..

It's just a nice thing to have. On top of my personal reasons for choosing a school I will love and support as a future alumni/give my kids legacy, it's just a good safety to go to the state flagship.

BUT it should be noted..that for whatever pharm schools I have called..undergrad does NOT matter. I guess it varies by profession.

Eh, good point. Well, for those wondering:

Yes. Undergrad matters.

I was actually asking for DENTIST'S opinions on building clientele regarding undergrad. I can easily find myself being asked "Oh, so Dr...., where did you do your undergrad?"

It's just a nice thing to have. On top of my personal reasons for choosing a school I will love and support as a future alumni/give my kids legacy, it's just a good safety to go to the state flagship.

BUT it should be noted..that for whatever pharm schools I have called..undergrad does NOT matter. I guess it varies by profession.

I worked as an assistant for 2 years and have never been asked what dental school or undergraduate my dentist went to.

I've read on here that undergrad matters for some dental schools and doesn't for others. Does the general public even understand dental schools? There isn't a ranking system for dental schools, so I always thought it was either by prestige of name or regional reputation.

That's valid with where you want to live, but I think it's too much to plan that far ahead. I've done a lot of research, and the conclusion is you can't plan too much.

You have complained that people steered you in the wrong direction but you did not even know the athens MCG campus is only medical. Yes, they have nursing too but not at the old navy base. It is already open as well, not just opening. People have given great advice thus far. Do you realize how much more expensive Ohio state dental school is than MCG? I guess not. Does the general public think Ohio State is better than UGA? Maybe. But it doesn't matter. As long as you go to a strong undergrad that's what matters. They will compare flag ship to CC or maybe Ivy league to Flag ship schools but not along the same tier.

Lastly, no the public doesn't understand how strong dental schools are compared to others. There are no published rankings. So it doesn't matter at all really.

You asked and you received many "DENTIST'S" opinions.

I can assure you that the name of the undergrad matters, but just a little. If you go to Harvard or Princeton vs. UGA, yes, you can impress #1 dental schools, #2 post-grad admissions, #3 the general public. I can guarantee you that between OSU and UGA that just about nobody cares, probably not even OSU and UGA. It's all relative.

Classically what I've seen is pre-dent's or high school students care soooo much about the name of their college, when in reality, it doesn't matter. What matters is the type of experiences you get, the matriculation rate into medical/dental school, and the total debt you will accumulate. For example, a free ride at UGA will beat out just about anything else. Control your costs and many many doors will open.

You asked and you received many "DENTIST'S" opinions.

I can assure you that the name of the undergrad matters, but just a little. If you go to Harvard or Princeton vs. UGA, yes, you can impress #1 dental schools, #2 post-grad admissions, #3 the general public. I can guarantee you that between OSU and UGA that just about nobody cares, probably not even OSU and UGA. It's all relative.

Classically what I've seen is pre-dent's or high school students care soooo much about the name of their college, when in reality, it doesn't matter. What matters is the type of experiences you get, the matriculation rate into medical/dental school, and the total debt you will accumulate. For example, a free ride at UGA will beat out just about anything else. Control your costs and many many doors will open.

Experience is the name for high achieving students. My valid Victorian cousins(twins actually) went to NYU(lived in NYU) could they have gone to a much, much cheaper undergrad? Yeah, but they didn't because they wanted that exp.

Well OSU>UGA matriculation into prof school. It's just personal- the undergrad thing. If someone else is satisfied going to college at a state school, excellent. That's simply not me.

No, I knew that, but it would still give you networking opportunities within GHSU or at least a chance. That goes by person. Idk what to tell you. Considering UGA has NO medical school..now it has affiliation at least. Most strong flagships have these professional schools fyi. GA is in need of dentists anyway, only one dental school in GA obviously isn't cutting it! C'mon Adams. Do something right before you retire. Opening an engineering school when tech is an hour away...what are you thinking..

Updated list:

nyu - looks at undergrad school

upenn - undergrad school matters

vcu - in state students favored. I tried to get the admissions lady to tell me if undergrad school is accounted for, but she said "You will not get me to say that over the phone." lol..soo take that as you will.

ghsu - sent email. Still waiting...I looked at the class statistics. There are big name schools(in and out of state) but also smaller schools in GA. Because of the in-state thing with GHSU, I think they don't really count. Not EVERYONE is going to UGA, tech or Emory.

detroit mercy - undergrad sort of matters.. "if we're familiar with with the school it's good." - full course load is more important. Don't take orgo and yogo and nothing else - more sciences in one semester with a 3.3 = more stronger applicant than a 4.0 student with only 1 sci

michigan - didn't call yet.

tufts - no in-state preference, info on site led to me believing school rigor is somewhat accounted for.

uconn- didn't call yet.

ohio state - didn't call yet.

Pitts - didn't call yet.

Case - didn't call yet.

-

Well, thanks for the input guys. I now have my answer. The only question remains: Buckeye or Dawg?

UGA was the time of my life. UGA and OSU are both state schools. I'm afraid the grass isn't greener on the other side.

A SDN UGA pre-dent, what are the odds lol

I messaged you shaun.

Experience is the name for high achieving

Well, thanks for the input guys. I now have my answer. The only question remains: Buckeye or Dawg?
You know what. Spend a ton more money to get the same education. You won't regret it all later in life when you don't have the money and you have a degree worth the exact same amount except for the money you spent for no reason. So yeah, Buckeye it up.

You know what. Spend a ton more money to get the same education. You won't regret it all later in life when you don't have the money and you have a degree worth the exact same amount except for the money you spent for no reason. So yeah, Buckeye it up.

lol OSU degree>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UGA degree.

It's not the degree. You're missing the point. It's the exp.

Seriously now, why are you using a forum to help you make decisions? If you're set on OSU, then go for it. It's not going to matter. Those schools you called are bluffing if they told you undergrad institution matters--I think they might have misinterpreted your question, especially if you didn't specify a comparison e.g. Stanford vs OSU or Missouri vs UC Berkeley or X community college vs Georgia or Vanderbilt vs OSU, etc. That will narrow things down for sure. No adcom will pull up the US Top 100 guide to check if your institution is on there...In my case, I went to a Top 300 school, but the department that I obtained my degree was in the Top 50--did they know that? No. As long as you're happy with your school, then everything else will follow...although it would be nice to save money so you graduate debt free. Whatever floats your boat. OSU is one hell of a school though--the college life experience alone is a good sell.

1. No it's not. hahaha, That seriously makes me laugh. 2. Experience. Yeah the experience will be the EXACT same. They are both the big school of the state. They both party. They both have good academics.

You obviously are just trolling on this site at this point as everyone has been in agreement except for you. Spend more money to float your boat. It's no matter to me. Don't complain after you graduate though.

It doesnt take going to a specific university to get "experience." If your goal is to be a great dentist with a great career... you will find career building "expereince" no matter where you are. It is hard to compare the actual dental schools except by price and location.

On another note, your attitude towards the sound responses is exactly the type of attitude one doesnt want as a classmate. Remember, you're the one that is asking for advice.

Lastly, saying OSU has better matriculation # that UGA is a terrible stat to look at. It probably means that there are more OSU applicants... meaning more competition and that many more people that will look better than you. BYU is probably the one of the worst schools in the country to go to if trying to get into Dental school, yet it probably has the highest acceptance rate in the country.

You obviously are just trolling on this site at this point as everyone has been in agreement except for you. Spend more money to float your boat. It's no matter to me. Don't complain after you graduate though.

What I've seen over and over again is people come on this forum and ask a "question" but really are looking for justification of their opinion/position/choice. Meaning, the OP is basically saying, "I really want to go to OSU but it's going to cost me more money so give me reasons why I should feel better about making that decision."

Do what you want, go where you want, we are all just trying to help.

Maybe this discussion should be moved to the pre-dental forum?

How am I trolling...

Everyone says "do what you want. Spend as least as you can."

ok so I acknowledge that. I called up admissions and the answer was yes undergrad matters. Does it matter a lot? no. Does it matter a little? yup. I asked them OSU vs UGA and they said they can't comment on individual schools. I got my answer, and now I'm satisfied.

I had an honest concern, and I asked about it. Logically, I can see your undergrad counting in dentistry when patients ask where you went. Do you need to know physical chemistry learned at Yale to be a good dentist? I rather doubt it. When it comes down to it. It's just in my nature to be supportive, proud, and encouraging. Even if I went to a community college I would probably still be a great alumni in the future. Buckeye or dawg. It doesn't matter. I'll be happy. They're both good schools.

Anyways, I'll mull it over some more before I make a decision. I'm leaning towards UGA. My parents will be able to pay for everything, but I don't want them to. My little brother is in high school right now.

Thanks for the input

Okay, you've sucked me into the conversation.
Does where you go to undergrad matter? Despite what came out of the horses mouth, NO! It's seriously what you make of it. Go somewhere cheap, enjoy yourself, and make good grades. I went to a "big time" party school, still ranked in the last tier I believe according to Newsweek or whatever, and got into a very respectable and renowned dental school. In fact, a buddy of mine from my undergrad was accepted to Harvard dental school. Even though he went to a "lowly party school", he was a big fish in a small pond, and was able to go anywhere he wanted.

My valid Victorian cousins(twins actually) went to NYU(lived in NYU) could they have gone to a much, much cheaper undergrad? Yeah, but they didn't because they wanted that exp.

:laugh:

*valedictorian

My parents will be able to pay for everything, but I don't want them to. My little brother is in high school right now.

There's a reason everyone's telling you to go to the cheapest undergrad place you can. You don't want to carry undergrad debt into dental school. The less you carry, the better off you'll be when you get out. The price you pay to go far away to a fancy name school isn't worth the 0.2 points on your dental school application. If you have some scholarship, grant, or can work during school to pay for tuition, then go wherever you want. But if you don't, you have to seriously consider the price tag of each place.