Does University affect MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosc1dbz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know, if the university you go to affects what kind of score you can get on the MCAT? You see, at my university, the average MCAT is something like an 18. So when I see you guys saying, I tried the MCAT just for fun, and got a 29 or took the MCAT with out studying and got a 30, which seems to happen alot around these forums, I am just wondering if it is that you guys and gals are maybe going to top notch schools. I go to a university where they accept everyone that applies, and I dont know if that affects the quality of education we get. I am taking the princeton review and i got like a 6, 5, 7, which is super bad, I think.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to know, if the university you go to affects what kind of score you can get on the MCAT? You see, at my university, the average MCAT is something like an 18. So when I see you guys saying, I tried the MCAT just for fun, and got a 29 or took the MCAT with out studying and got a 30, which seems to happen alot around these forums, I am just wondering if it is that you guys and gals are maybe going to top notch schools. I go to a university where they accept everyone that applies, and I dont know if that affects the quality of education we get. I am taking the princeton review and i got like a 6, 5, 7, which is super bad, I think.

Somewhat. The level of actual factual knowledge required on the MCAT isn't that significant. It's not difficult to cover all the stuff. You can actually do it yourself, if you are diligent. So you may need to supplement your knowledge, if your classes aren't adequate to cover the material. If you are in PR, they will give you a general idea of the high-yield material on the MCAT. Study it. Pick up the AAMC guidelines for the MCAT and cover all of the material listed. The MCAT tests a number of things. It's like an intellectual puzzle that requires some general knowledge to be able to enter into the game, but I think it can be cracked with an intelligent approach and appropriate effort.

An average score of 18 isn't even application-worthy. The average matriculant will have an overall MCAT score of around 30. You will want to score around this, or higher.

You say that you attend a University that accepts everyone who applies. That's probably the primary factor affecting your school's average MCAT score. Perhaps there is some component of inadequate classwork, but this can be easily ameliorated through diligent independent study. Study hard, take as many practice tests under real conditions as you can, learn from your mistakes, and I don't think you'll have difficulty scoring above your school's average. Don't let SDN scare you. The people here tend to have above average scores; it's a skewed sample. They aren't necessarily representative of the general applying public.

BTW, a low diagnostic doesn't necessarily say much. The diagnostics are designed to be harder than the actual test. Just learn your weak areas from the diagnostic and practice what you need to practice. Do what must be done. Practice, practice, practice... Examine the trends on your full-length tests and make the necessary adjustments until you are trending what you desire.

The difference in the quality of education in intro science courses b/w universities is probably minimal. It's more likely that it's the quality of the student body that affects the average MCAT score.

Still a 18 is very very low and probably indicates that your university should toughen up its premed courses and weedout some of those applicants. A lot of people manage to improve by 12 pts or more from their diagnostic to the real thing so there's hope for you.

are you intelligent because you go to xyz university or do you go to xyz school because you are intelligent?

most people who go to top notch schools are already intelligent and motivated to get high scores on the mcat. the mcat tests basic science and i doubt there is much difference in the content of an intro bio class in a small unknown school as opposed to a big name school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it would have to deal with the issue of entrance scores. If School A has a 1400+ SAT average (old scale) and School B has a 1000+ SAT average, students from A probably will do better on average. That's not saying its impossible to do well from a weaker college. It's mostly about the individual so I wouldn't worry about these statistics.

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with how much free time your university courses afford you to study. Some schools aren't quite as demanding, so students have more time to study for the MCAT during the year, and that is to your advantage. Aside from some basic test-taking ability skills and innate quickness in thinking, doing well on the MCAT is mostly studying and practice, so the more free time you have to devote to that, the better. Anyone can learn the material from the prep books, doesn't matter too much where you want to school.

Hey thanks for all the replies. I really appriciate it very much. Its very motivating to know that it all depends o n you. I am currently taking the Princeton review and I guess a 19 is a great place to be since I bearly started. Thanks again.

Hey thanks for all the replies. I really appriciate it very much. Its very motivating to know that it all depends o n you. I am currently taking the Princeton review and I guess a 19 is a great place to be since I bearly started. Thanks again.
keep in mind that prep courses like kaplan and TPR try to pummel you with their hardest stuff for the practice exam so you can 1. be more motivated 2. for them to prove you improved since your first exam
most people do terribily on their first exams

IYou see, at my university, the average MCAT is something like an 18. So when I see you guys saying, I tried the MCAT just for fun, and got a 29 or took the MCAT with out studying and got a 30, which seems to happen alot around these forums, I am just wondering if it is that you guys and gals are maybe going to top notch schools.

Keep in mind this is an anonymous forum where people aren't held accountable for what they say. And who really takes a practice MCAT for fun anyway??

To answer your question, no, you don't need to go to a top notch school to do well on the MCAT. I went to a small state school (Bloomsburg University) where my tuition was free b/c my parents were professors. Just make sure when it comes to preparing for the MCAT, you're diligent and serious about it. If you want to know about my MCAT scores or MCAT prep, feel free to PM me.

Finally, make sure you take everything you read on these forums with a grain of salt.

Good luck :luck: