Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Does University matter as far as getting into medical school is concerned?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jordan23, Mar 3, 2007.

1. jordan23

Ok for example, currently I am at the University of Houston in Houston Texas., main campus. However, I was thinking about transfering to the Downtown location. Can a person still get into a medical school if you get a degree from a school that is part of the system and not necessaraly at the main campus? Does it matter? Please give me some feedback thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wisguy

Pre-Medical
    This has been covered many times. Search.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Seriously. As recently as yesterday.

5. riceman04

Medical Student
    Why would you transfer from UH main to UHD?

It's not like they are far away (like 10 - 15 min max) from each other.

6. turkleton

turkleton Capeless Crusader

Medical Student
    No. You're screwed. I'd suggest applying to Bolivia. Or Madagascar. Or press search.

7. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

new-member-thread-starting reform now!!!!

8. jordan23

can u guys just answer the question? are system schools in other campuses off limits from medical schools? is it agaisnt the rules?

9. Phil Anthropist

Phil Anthropist SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Use the search function. armybound made a great tutorial on how to search.

As the others have mentioned, this has been discussed ad nauseum. Please read through the recent discussion from the Pre-Allo FAQ.

10. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa Senior Member

NO

11. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Banned
    Banned

It only matters if you go to harvard, yale, or UCLA. These will help you get into a top tier med school with lower gpa. Otherwise it really dont matter.

13. maestro1625

Medical Student
    move away from the main campus???? but that would take you away from

[​IMG]

THE DYNAMO!!!!!!!

14. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Come on guys! We were all noobs at some point, and the search function is a little useless IMHO. Unless you know how to use the advanced search it is pretty hard to find relevant information.

Maybe that could be a new SDN requirement! All new members have to go through a training session on how to use the advanced search function!!!

Yay!

PS: Maestro 1625...did you also get happy jitters when the National team lost after Hugo Sanchez took over it? I wasn't happy because they lost per say, more because he's such an arrogant, arrogant man. It must have been a humbling experience for him. Or at least I hope.

15. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Banned
    Banned

I agree. And baylormed has volunteered to be the only trainer at these sessions.:cool:

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Haha, no no no. I never volunteered...you volunteered me, which is not exactly "volunteering".

I don't have the patience for it, I might end up blowing some computers up with my incredible mind powers.

18. maestro1625

Medical Student
    LaVolpe, Sanchez... same mistakes. Mexico's problem will always be that their tactical abilities lag way behind their technical abilities... But as a someone who throughly enjoyed taunting Oswaldo Sanchez from Sam's Army after the USA 2-0 win in columbus in 05... I can only hope that Hugo has a long-lasting career for el tri. :D

19. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Indeed, it is a hard thing to pick a side on these things. I would be betraying someone either way. Let's just say I'm always happy for whoever wins and sad for whoever loses.

Maybe I should just pick a team from another country and stick to that one. :laugh:

20. jordan23

no seriously. is a school that is part of the system, nationally accreddited? Has anyone in the past 5 years or so ever been accepted into a medical school that wasn't a regular university? Like could someone get a bachelors online and still get in? The reason I ask this is because I like small classes and UH is just too big. Would the downtown campus screw my chances forever? Please only nice threads. Thanks

21. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Online classes don't count, usually medical schools do not accept them.

However, if your university/college is an accredited college you are going to be fine.

22. jordan23

but do u think the downtown campus is fine, i mean, like, would someone accept me from there? could u go on the website and tell me what u think? www.uhd.edu. Thanks. Since you seem to know the ropes and all.

23. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    I can't tell you that, because I am no expert when it comes to colleges. Why don't you try e-mailing the medical schools' admissions offices and ask them? I think it would make you feel better if you do.

24. Krisss17

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm so glad that you said this...because you are not an expert...you are just another premed trying to get into medical school.

I also don't totally agree with your comment of online courses. True, when it comes to your science prereqs, on campus is definitely better than off campus, especially because of required labs; however, as long as the online classes come from a properly accredited school and are no different than the classes that you would take in a lecture setting...I don't see it as a negative. Actually, online classes require a lot more in the sense of self-discipline and many times the workload is heavier.

jordan23, whether or not you are on the "home" campus, it doesn't matter. The classes are the same. The only good advice that she gave you was to go directly to the medical admissions office.

25. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Jeez, thanks a lot.

Oh yeah, and I already got into medical school.

You might be right regarding the online courses, though (not sure). Although I think I have read on SDN before that as far as pre-reqs go they are not acceptable. The rest of the classes, however, you might be able to get some in, but for that you would need to ask each individual school. In the end, it doesn't matter what your opinion is about online classes, it matters what medical schools want, so the OP should find out directly from them.

26. Droopy Snoopy

Resident [Any Field]
    I think s/he is. I took several online classes, and on my transcript they didn't appear any different than regular classes. Might vary by school though, and in any event I wouldn't risk it with prereqs.

27. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    I think I mentioned that it might not be valid because the OP said something along the lines of "getting a degree from an online university," which is probably not an ideal situation for applying to medical school. Otherwise, online courses given by an accredited 4 year institution (one that is a regular college, not an online college) are probably acceptable (except maybe the prerequisites). See quote from the OP below:

28. Droopy Snoopy

Resident [Any Field]
    Ah, I didn't read that far back. Yeah OP, there aren't any shortcuts in this game, sorry.

29. shnjb

shnjb Rod

MD/PhD Student
    Imagine you're an admission acommittee member.

Candidate A: 3.5 GPA, 35 MCAT, California Institute of Technology, majored in physics.

Candidate B: 3.5 GPA, 35 MCAT, San Diego State University (notorious for parties), majored in anthropology.

Really. What do you think?
    Clearly with 35, they can both get in, but if you were on the board for WashU, they'd both be inferior so perhaps it would be a tough choice.
    But provided you have one spot left, which one would you choose all things being equal? (remove the major difference)

30. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
  31. HOLDENc

I went to the best University in the world and I have multiple acceptances. So just looking at my scenario, it matters.