Does UWORLD for Step 3 reflect the actual exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctr1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am asking this because when I am doing Hem/Onco questions for example, I found that 80% of the questions only talk about Anemia/Multiple Myeloma and leave out a good proportion of other Hema/Onco topics. Is the real exam like this?

Another one, I found out that many of the questions they will give you the diagnosis and all the story then ask you what you should do next? which in most cases is logic rather than knowledge. Of course you will not start treating a patient with a lung cancer before doing a CT scan of the chest first !!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Another one, I found out that many of the questions they will give you the diagnosis and all the story then ask you what you should do next? which in most cases is logic rather than knowledge. Of course you will not start treating a patient with a lung cancer before doing a CT scan of the chest first !!

You know that now, as a young gun you might have wanted to treat them because "oh no cancer". That's the point. Step 3 is about how you manage patients and what is a reasonable next step.

You know that now, as a young gun you might have wanted to treat them because "oh no cancer". That's the point. Step 3 is about how you manage patients and what is a reasonable next step.

Thanks, could you also answer my first question?

Thanks, could you also answer my first question?

There is no way to explicitly tell you what Heme/Onc questions will be on the test. Uworld is trying their best to prepare you for what may be on the test, but they can't be certain.

This: http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-3/2014content_Step3.pdf

is the closest you will ever be to knowing what specific content is on the exam, which is still very general. For what it's worth, Step 3 doesn't have the same onus put on its scoring, if you pass, no matter what the score, its ok. If you fail, take it again knowing your weaknesses and pass the 2nd time around. There's very little penalty towards you, save that you might have to take it the second time on actual vacation time, rather than being allowed educational leave.