Does volunteering at a hostel for patients count as clinical experience?

Dec 29, 2012
Status
I volunteer at a hostel for patient undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital to stay at. I cook dinner, talk with them, and play games with the kids who are going through treatment. Would that count as clinical experience, since I am interacting with patients, even if it's not in a hospital setting?

Jul 18, 2012
I am from the United States of America
Status
Pre-Medical
I volunteer at a hostel for patient undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital to stay at. I cook dinner, talk with them, and play games with the kids who are going through treatment. Would that count as clinical experience, since I am interacting with patients, even if it's not in a hospital setting?
If it's not in the clinic it's not clinical experience. You could work in a gas station near a hospital filling up the tanks for people who might happen to be patients and family members, and it would also not be clinical experience for a similar reason.

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If it's not in the clinic it's not clinical experience. You could work in a gas station near a hospital filling up the tanks for people who might happen to be patients and family members, and it would also not be clinical experience for a similar reason.
I think a more accurate description would be:

If you aren't with a physician doing their job, it is not a clinical experience.

The purpose of clinical experience is to see what physicians do and be exposed to patients being treated/cared for.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Idk. I think my experiences in NICU are clinical.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile