Quantcast

Does volunteering at a hostel for patients count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohsowhat

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I volunteer at a hostel for patient undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital to stay at. I cook dinner, talk with them, and play games with the kids who are going through treatment. Would that count as clinical experience, since I am interacting with patients, even if it's not in a hospital setting?

Geebeejay

Reaction score
I volunteer at a hostel for patient undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital to stay at. I cook dinner, talk with them, and play games with the kids who are going through treatment. Would that count as clinical experience, since I am interacting with patients, even if it's not in a hospital setting?

If it's not in the clinic it's not clinical experience. You could work in a gas station near a hospital filling up the tanks for people who might happen to be patients and family members, and it would also not be clinical experience for a similar reason.

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it's not in the clinic it's not clinical experience. You could work in a gas station near a hospital filling up the tanks for people who might happen to be patients and family members, and it would also not be clinical experience for a similar reason.

I think a more accurate description would be:

If you aren't with a physician doing their job, it is not a clinical experience.

The purpose of clinical experience is to see what physicians do and be exposed to patients being treated/cared for.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score

Idk. I think my experiences in NICU are clinical.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile