Does Walgreens allow students to shadow pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmD81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I applied for a pharmacy technician job at Walgreens however I was offered a cashier job at the main store. I decided to take it so I can earn some money in the meantime. However, I wanted to know does Walgreens allow people to shadow the pharmacist? I want to ask them, but since I just started working I don't want it to look creepy and I'm kind of nervous they say no an I get all embarrassed. Also do you think it would be easier and more likely they will say yes since I work there? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just introduce yourself to the pharmacist and let him know you want to go to pharmacy school. It will be up to him at that point. You might ask to be cross-trained in pharmacy as well.

Good Luck :luck:

When I tried that, the pharmacist told me to contact the district manager. So I called and called, but heard nothing back :(

Some pharmacists will say that they have to train you like you're going to be an employee before you can do any shadowing.

I think it just depends on the district and the store.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually got Walgreens to let me do a month long internship. I had some help from my faculty adviser at my college, but just be respectfully persistent. They loved having an extra employee around they didn't have to pay. It led to a job as a tech for me.

I actually got Walgreens to let me do a month long internship. I had some help from my faculty adviser at my college, but just be respectfully persistent. They loved having an extra employee around they didn't have to pay. It led to a job as a tech for me.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your tasks? Were you already a licensed tech when you had the internship?

Just introduce yourself to the pharmacist and let him know you want to go to pharmacy school. It will be up to him at that point. You might ask to be cross-trained in pharmacy as well.

Good Luck :luck:

Thanks I will Definitly do that. At the time of my interview I asked the manager if there was any chance that I would be promoted to the pham tech job and she said if anything opens u she will let me know. But when you think of it, why would they allow me to switch positions because now they will have to train 2 people instead of one. For example my training when for the pharmacy, and a new cashier but if they hire someone new it will only be one person training. But I do think shadowing would be a perfect opportunity.

Without being too specific, would you mind saying what area of the country you're from? I've tried and tried and tried and no one will even take me for free

Without being too specific, would you mind saying what area of the country you're from? I've tried and tried and tried and no one will even take me for free

Sometimes you have to put yourself in the shoes of the pharmacist. Most often, it's beyond their control. It's not that they're NOT willing to help, it's the fact that they just can't. Liability, policies, and certain procedures restrict volunteers in the pharmacy depending on where you try. Most often, larger retail chains are strict in that corporate will not allow any volunteers. Try to ask some independent stores as they're a little bit more lenient.

But also, imagine if you were a pharmacist working under an already-hectic environment and multitasking like crazy, it's certainly easier to say "Yeah, sure, I can train you in the pharmacy" than to actually do it while watching you to make sure 100% is still accurate. Mistakes do happen, but we got to start somewhere as far as training... :D

I think you're absolutely right. Just recently the pharmacy I was volunteering at decided to cut off the program because they said it was too risky for mistakes to happen. Although the pharmacist double checks everything we do, they said accidents happen and technically the volunteers are not liable for damages since someone was supposed to check after you. But it feels like where are you supposed to get experience if no one allows you?

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what were your tasks? Were you already a licensed tech when you had the internship?

I was not licensed but in my state you don't have to be. I did any task a pharm tech would do. I started small, but by the end I was treated no differently than a full fledged tech. I'm in the Midwest. In the town I'm in many of the pharmacies do this for students, one of my friends did the same thing at a grocery pharmacy down the street. I had to start by calling, then calling district, then going into the store in person, then my advisor going in person, then had to call a final time to hear their decision. Once they said yes, I set up an internship through my college and received upper level credit. I am so so happy I did this, it helped me so much in the admissions process.