Does where I get this grad degree matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyclechick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting this music master's degree at a hot-shot university. I've got one more year left out of 3, but I'm increasingly sure that I want to go to med school. If I decided to transfer to a state school to do the last year and take my prereqs will I lose anything by not getting that school's name on my diploma? I'm not very happy here. But should I transfer or just suck it up and stay?

Thanks for all of your help,

C

Members don't see this ad.

Is the unhappiness showing in your GPA? I don't know about interviews, I've never been at one. If you are unhappy I am inclined to tell you to make the change, however then comes the question if grad schools go hhmmm so why with only 1 year left did you leave? Who knows what's going on when they interview you for admissons. Adcom might think yay for you for taking your future in your hands, or they might think hhmm is she going to decide she is unhappy here and leave year 4.

I don't know, just my thoughts on both sides of the coin. I am sure that someone is more qualified to answer!

So I'm getting this music master's degree at a hot-shot university. I've got one more year left out of 3, but I'm increasingly sure that I want to go to med school. If I decided to transfer to a state school to do the last year and take my prereqs will I lose anything by not getting that school's name on my diploma? I'm not very happy here. But should I transfer or just suck it up and stay?

C

As long as you finish the degree, it's no big deal. What you don't want is to quit a graduate program after two years and jump into something else. This shows lack of a commitment and general immaturity no matter what you age. Why did you do music in the first place? After all, graduate school is expected to be what you want to study and something that you enjoy.

If you hate your great university, why are you there in the first place? If you are there and you are so concerned with "name", then stay there and take your pre-recs. It's not such a big deal where you take them as long as your grades are high. Academics are not about "happiness" but about performance and scholarship. Make sure both of yours are very high.

Your graduate degree is going to be weighted about the same as an extracurricular activity even if its from Heaven University so location is not much of a deal in any case. Completing the degree with a high performance IS a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)

C
No, the name of your grad school isn't very important. You're applying for medical school, not a post-doc. Just focus on getting straight As, or as close to it as possible, in your post bac. And don't forget to get some clinical experience while you're at it--this should be considered to be a prereq for med school just like biology or physics. Best of luck to you. :)

C

I'd say suck it up, finish the music masters degree where you are, and take the prereqs at State U. Also, I assume you checked this out, but it doesn't seem like State U would give you a masters degree with only 1 year at State U and 2 years at the other school?

C

Finish up your degree. Can you take summer courses? I'm sure you can get a large amount of your pre-reqs done that way.

Thank you so much, everyone for your replies. I think I will just have to see it through.