Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello there, I'm in my last year of high school and I'm about to go to a very small and cheap college called Tarleton State University. Here's my question: Should I finish my undergraduate education in this university, or should I transfer to a college like UT Austin, Texas Tech, or UNT? I'm wondering this because Tarleton isn't a very widley know university and I'm worried that this might hurt my chances of getting into a medical school.

Thanks for any replies.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
School doesn't really make much of a difference. The cheap state U (assuming it's not a community college) isn't going to hurt you as long as you excel. Big fish in a little pond>>small fish in a big pond! (Yes, yes, big fish in big pond>big fish in small pond.... but what makes you think you'd be the big fish? Get my drift?)

golfman

7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hello there, I'm in my last year of high school and I'm about to go to a very small and cheap college called Tarleton State University. Here's my question: Should I finish my undergraduate education in this university, or should I transfer to a college like UT Austin, Texas Tech, or UNT? I'm wondering this because Tarleton isn't a very widley know university and I'm worried that this might hurt my chances of getting into a medical school.

Thanks for any replies.
It will never hurt to go to a great University. That being said, if you get a great GPA and do well on the MCAT it won't really hurt you if you went to a small college. You'll get in somewhere.

Going to a "prestigious" university is one of those things that can help you, but if you don't you will be just fine as long as you make yourself a competitive applicant. That being said, I wouldn't go to an ultra crappy community college or something.

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I think it matters at top schools. Ivies, as well as places like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Duke like to accept students that went to each others' schools for undergrad. If you can distinguish yourself enough at your small school you could go far, but the resources and name of top-end undergrads can help.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
You'll probably be hurting for research opportunities if that's something you're interested in.

ucsfstudents

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I would go to the best possible university you can get accepted into where you will also feel comfortable.

Your school name does matter, but no matter where you go, you must shoot for a high GPA and MCAT score.

A borderline GPA and MCAT score from a prestigious school will not cut it for medical school.