Does withdrawing from a med school affect residency chances at that school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RB93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is kind of a paranoid question, but I assume withdrawing from a school (either acceptance or interview) wouldn't affect your residency chances at that school right? As long as you're not a jerk about it or something. Does anyone know (particularly someone who's been through the residency application process)?

Members don't see this ad.

No...that's ridiculous. Hundreds, even thousands of people apply to schools each year, and even if a residency program director happened to be on the admissions committee, it's absolutely unlikely they'd remember your name 4 years later...

I suppose if you were to take the chance to tell a school "no" in some sort of brutish, immature fashion, you might be remembered, but why would you do such a thing is beyond me.

Yea, as long as you are respectful, no one will care

Members don't see this ad :)
No one will know or care. Be polite because thats the right thing to do.

The medical school admissions committee may have some overlap with people in other departments or program directors, but minimally. And they certainly don't remember the names of people who withdrew.

As an example, I applied to 2 places that I received medical school interviews at and withdrew and still received EM residency interviews at those locations.

I suppose if you were to take the chance to tell a school "no" in some sort of brutish, immature fashion, you might be remembered, but why would you do such a thing is beyond me.
Dear Medical School X,

I almost laughed when I saw your paltry financial aid package, but I realized that I can't ask too much of an institution as disadvantaged as yourself (you are only top 20 after all.) I'm happy to say I won't be walking your unswept halls the next four years, and judging from the average caliber of the students that will be, maybe some will end up employed with you for the very purpose of making those floors more attractive to applicants ;). Attached are copies of my other acceptances and full-tuition scholarships from institutions that are above your level of mediocrity, along with a video of me dancing. See you at residency interviews!

Sincerely,

RB

Dear Medical School X,

I almost laughed when I saw your paltry financial aid package, but I realized that I can't ask too much of an institution as disadvantaged as yourself (you are only top 20 after all.) I'm happy to say I won't be walking your unswept halls the next four years, and judging from the average caliber of the students that will be, maybe some will end up employed with you for the very purpose of making those floors more attractive to applicants ;). Attached are copies of my other acceptances and full-tuition scholarships from institutions that are above your level of mediocrity, along with a video of me dancing. See you at residency interviews!

Sincerely,

RB

Haha, literally LOLed.

No...that's ridiculous. Hundreds, even thousands of people apply to schools each year, and even if a residency program director happened to be on the admissions committee, it's absolutely unlikely they'd remember your name 4 years later...

False, you MUST attend every school that you are accepted to in consecutive four year segments, otherwise you'll surely be blacklisted. Program Directors talk to each other, don't forget this fact.

/Finishing up Jefferson after my previous 4 years at Wright State. NEOCOM up next!