Does your ethnicity influence your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrayArea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am wondering how much your ethnicity and cultural background influences the strength of your application. I have heard from people that it gives you an advantage, is that true? And if so, how much of an advantage?

For example, I am of Latin origin and first of my family to get a degree.
I got a 3.98 GPA in college and did research.
I have done extensive community service, volunteer work (hospice), and shadowing.
I am also going to help out with a clinical trial.
The only thing I am missing is an MCAT score to apply.

Based on this info, I believe I am already a good candidate, but am wondering how much more will my cultural background help?
Any insights?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless by Latin you mean Mexican or Puerto-Rican, then not very much.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am of Mexican decent. Does that carry weight?

Yes you would be considered URM. "How much" it will affect your application is impossible to answer. With that GPA, and a strong MCAT, it will only make you a more attractive candidate since you have more than proved you are capable of handling medical school.

Mexican-Americans are Under-represented in Medicine (URM). If you have Spanish language skills, too, you will be a highly desirable candidate provided your MCAT is strong (at least 500).

This is especially important because there are too many white kids who suddenly and magically discover their Hispanic heritage only when they apply to medical school.

IMO, it will also help if you have been involved with the Latino community in some way during the college years.

Reactions: 10 users
IMO, it will also help if you have been involved with the Latino community in some way during the college years.
Yes, not in college, but have been involved with helping the Latin community. Have helped at events that promote good health in those communities.

Mexican-Americans are Under-represented in Medicine (URM). If you have Spanish language skills, too, you will be a highly desirable candidate provided your MCAT is strong (at least 500).
Spanish was my first language. Like I said, my portfolio if you will is pretty much ready to apply, I just need to take the MCAT (September). The MCAT is the one factor that I am really scared of, not because I cannot study, but because it is a difficult exam. You can be as read as you will ever be and still not get an outstanding score. Therefore, I am interested on how much weight the combined factors I mentioned have.

I know of some people that get angry when someone uses the "race card" to get points in applying to medical school. But, we must use every advantage we have right? And it is true that more Spanish speaking Mexican-Americans are needed in medicine, especially in certain specialties.

How many years have you been out of college?
One year. But I have been consistently doing volunteer work and shadowing.

I wanted some time off too save some money, get more clinical experience, etc. I will be applying next cycle.

I am also planning on living in Nicaragua for a month and volunteering at a hospital over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
One year. But I have been consistently doing volunteer work and shadowing.

I wanted some time off too save some money, get more clinical experience, etc. I will be applying next cycle.

I am also planning on living in Nicaragua for a month and volunteering at a hospital over there.
Building vocabulary in medical Spanish will be helpful and more likely to be immersive in a non-US, 100% Spanish-speaking environment with physicians and nurses present. Also consider working on the layperson's legal language for getting informed consent.

Reactions: 2 users
Spanish was my first language. Like I said, my portfolio if you will is pretty much ready to apply, I just need to take the MCAT (September). The MCAT is the one factor that I am really scared of, not because I cannot study, but because it is a difficult exam. You can be as read as you will ever be and still not get an outstanding score. Therefore, I am interested on how much weight the combined factors I mentioned have.

I know of some people that get angry when someone uses the "race card" to get points in applying to medical school. But, we must use every advantage we have right? And it is true that more Spanish speaking Mexican-Americans are needed in medicine, especially in certain specialties.

Medical school is hard to get into. Use every advantage you have. Perform well on the MCAT and apply for top schools. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Building vocabulary in medical Spanish will be helpful and more likely to be immersive in a non-US, 100% Spanish-speaking environment with physicians and nurses present. Also consider working on the layperson's legal language for getting informed consent.
Is having that skill something I would include in my application? Im not 100% fluent in medical or legal Spanish since I grew up in the US, but I definitely can be by next summer for the application cycle.

Is having that skill something I would include in my application? Im not 100% fluent in medical or legal Spanish since I grew up in the US, but I definitely can be by next summer for the application cycle.
Personally, I think it would be worth specific mention in the space you use to describe the Nicaragua visit. What do you think, @gyngyn ?

You're a good applicant. Make a solid MCAT and you're golden.

One other thing, I've always wondered why people say you need to be involved in the community to get the URM boost. Like I know plenty of people from URM backgrounds that are very involved in their community, but not through official community service or anything.

This is especially important because there are too many white kids who suddenly and magically discover their Hispanic heritage only when they apply to medical school.

I heard you only have to be 1/16 Native American to get tribal affiliation.

One other thing, I've always wondered why people say you need to be involved in the community to get the URM boost. Like I know plenty of people from URM backgrounds that are very involved in their community, but not through official community service or anything.

From my understanding, it simply shows adcoms that you're not just all talk. An applicant who is technically URM but does little to no experience in the service realm of that URM community, doesn't indicate that they truly understand the woes of that community when it comes to healthcare. Compare that to an applicant who is URM and also highly active in those communities-- they are much more aware of the cultural disparities affecting that community. Which could then easily translate to being of more service as a future healthcare provider.

Just my two cents though, I'm not URM. However I have spent some time volunteering in URM communities and also underserved communities within my ethnic background.

Your medical career is over.

BRB. gonna apply to caribbean.

But in seriousness, in secondaries, should I mention this? Some schools ask for things not listed in my application.

BRB. gonna apply to caribbean.

But in seriousness, in secondaries, should I mention this? Some schools ask for things not listed in my application.

Personally, I think it would be petty to explain how your grandfather is AA and you're 25% technically. Skip that part. It'd be better to specifically detail your work in the AA community throughout the course of your premed years. Maybe you can hint at the fact that you have family members who are AA and from the AA community, and how you want to work in these communities in the future... but I would stick towards talking/detailing more about your community work rather than your blood line.

The benefit of having URM's enter medicine is for the patients, not necessarily the individuals themselves. I was raised in an underserved community, but I did not fully comprehend the barriers to access these populations go through until I started volunteering at free clinics and health fairs in my area. Hence, why adcoms want to see volunteering with the community.

Reactions: 2 users
Better have the tribal card to show it, and commitment to community as well. I have an SDN advisee who got 20 IIs due to a URM status, and 19 outright rejections. It takes talent to get outright rejected.

Accepted at her/her state school, which counts for something, I suppose.

I heard you only have to be 1/16 Native American to get tribal affiliation.

Better have the tribal card to show it, and commitment to community as well. I have an SDN advisee who got 20 IIs due to a URM status, and 19 outright rejections. It takes talent to get outright rejected.

Accepted at her/her state school, which counts for something, I suppose.

#BeckyWithTheBadGrades

Reactions: 3 users

The recent SCOTUS ruling for the TX student who sued the college because she was denied admission. Her lawyers argued that she was the victim of reverse affirmative action. Since the ruling two days ago, the "internet" has exploded by calling her "Becky with the bad grades".

It's actually quite funny because the school she was suing explains pretty explicitly that 75% of their admissions is awarded to "Texas residents who finish top 10% in their HS class" and the remaining 25% is based off of various deciding factors. The Supreme Court justices, in their ruling, mention how if she would have just gotten better grades she could have avoided this 5+ year legal battle and would have gained admission.

Reactions: 5 users
Personally, I think it would be worth specific mention in the space you use to describe the Nicaragua visit. What do you think, @gyngyn ?
I will do that. Besides experiencing medicine in a country with extreme poverty, a reason I want to spend some time over there volunteering is to learn professional Spanish for sure.

It is funny because in my family, I have always been the one who my family members ask about a medicine they were prescribed or ask me to go to the doctor visits with my grandparents. Obviously I am not a doctor and never gave legitimate medical advice, but it has really showed me the need for doctors that not only speak Spanish, but also have ties to Mexican culture. Is that worth mentioning somewhere in the app?

I am very passionate about becoming a doctor, and serving my community. I am just really fearful of the MCAT because I heard that some schools will not look at the rest of your application if it is not at least a certain score. Is that true? I am not setting myself up for failure with the MCAT, I just simply do not want one test to drown all of the other reasons why I should be accepted to the medical school of my choice. Sorry for the rant.

I have a cousin in law who's 1/2 black, 1/4 latina, and 1/4 native american. Too bad shes not interested in med school, because that would be one hell of a diversity essay...

Ok now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

1) It is funny because in my family, I have always been the one who my family members ask about a medicine they were prescribed or ask me to go to the doctor visits with my grandparents. Obviously I am not a doctor and never gave legitimate medical advice, but it has really showed me the need for doctors that not only speak Spanish, but also have ties to Mexican culture. Is that worth mentioning somewhere in the app?

2) I am just really fearful of the MCAT because I heard that some schools will not look at the rest of your application if it is not at least a certain score. Is that true? I am not setting myself up for failure with the MCAT, I just simply do not want one test to drown all of the other reasons why I should be accepted to the medical school of my choice.
1) This might work well in your PS as part of your "path to medicine."

2) Yes, it's true that med schools tend to have automatic MCAT score cutoffs for consideration. So it's best not to take the test until you've scored in your desired range on multiple practice tests. Applying with one good MCAT score is far better than applying with a range of them.

Would a applicant who isn't Mexican or Puerto Rican still be considered URM if they are Central American? I speak fluent Spanish(native language), have extensive commitment to service/community service(6+years college/post-college) in specific Latino organizations related to outreach/health helping under served communities, low SES,first generation), translating in a medical setting experience,have any chance to be considered URM/UiM?(I also want to work specifically with this community primary care)

Last edited:
Would a applicant who isn't Mexican or Puerto Rican still be considered URM if they are Central American? I speak fluent Spanish(native language), have extensive commitment to service/community service(6+years college/post-college) in specific Latino organizations related to outreach/health helping under served communities, low SES,first generation), translating in a medical setting experience,have any chance to be considered URM/UiM?(I also want to work specifically with this community primary care)
Those of Central American decent are less likely to be considered under-represented in medicine. But your professional-level Spanish speaking skills and long pattern of Latino-community involvement would be highly valued at many institutions, regardless.

Last edited:
Yes. Schools make independent determinations of the need for physicians in each group.
Are there known schools that looks to enroll URM medical students? If this is known information, it is not a bad idea to compose a list of schools who strongly want URM's in they programs.

Are there known schools that looks to enroll URM medical students? If this is known information, it is not a bad idea to compose a list of schools who strongly want URM's in they programs.
That would be all of us.
Particular interests are:
The HBCU's are interested in African Americans.
Three of the of Puerto Rican Schools accept mainlanders.
Drew is highly motivated to enroll the urban poor.
UC Prime programs are another group to consider.

Last edited by a moderator: