does your major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt Norman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that many med schools don't care what you got your bachelors degree in. Is this true? I ask because for as long as I can remember I wanted to get a degree in music. I would like to major in music and take my med school prereqs along the way. Will this seriously hender my chances of getting in or do they realy not care anymore?

Thanks,
Matt

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

Members don't see this ad.

Matt-

A music major would probably HELP your chances of getting in to medical school.

Ask around.

Peace . . .

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Matt, JP is most likely correct. As long as you do well in your premed courses, and maybe take some additional advanced bio courses, I think the music major will only tell schools that you are a multi-talented, well-rounded, interesting individual. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hold a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre and was recently admitted to both allopathic and osteopathic med schools. My background was a constant source of fascination from interviewers (except one!), and I believe a great portion of my success is because of my diverse background. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

Thank you guys very much for your replies. It is good to know that not only can I do what I would like to but that it may actually help me get in. I welcome all other responces.

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

The Dean of a College of Music Connected to a 2nd tier liberal arts college near my home told me of one of his students whose admission to medical school was madeeasier because of such a major.

The best major is the one you most want. Period. It is only that one which will arouse your passions, ignite your own best, and be the impetus for your excellence.

I have an MD friend that received his degree in music, and had no problems getting in to medical school (roughly 12 years ago). I received my degree in pharmacy, and I had difficulty getting accepted last year. I was told that since there is a nationwide shortage of pharmacists, most medical schools do not want to "steal" from the pharmacy profession. I do not know if other occupations have had the same problem. Good luck in your medical school endeavor..Aaron

I've heard that overall med school admission committees love applicants that are non-science majors. They like applicants that stand out and majoring in music will definitely make you stand out. But thats not to say that all schools are like that.

My cousin majored in business administration and she was flat out rejected from a school because of her major. The school said that they weren't interested in interviewing non-science majors b/c they make weaker medical students...which in my opinion is a complete load of crap.

But thats only one school out of the 10 schools that she interviewed at (and yes she did get accepted to med school)...so I think that being different will work to your advantage.

I'd say go into engineering... You can get awesome paying medically-related engineering internships during the summer that pay alot more than regular premed programs due to the engineering expertise you have, plus you get to work with state of the art technology medical diagnostic techniques.. not a bad deal.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed