Does your MPH school matter to PhD or medical schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyperalz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will starting MPH (Epi track) at Columbia this fall, and am considering med school or PHD afterwards. The problem is that potentially I have to take out $80K loans to finish the MPH at Columbia, which seems just too much if I wanted to continue onto med. school or PhD program since I have to take out more loans for them.

So, this has seriously led me to consider MPH at UT Houston, which will be $30K max.

Now, in my research of classes and correspondence w/ faculty, Columbia PH is def a better school than UT's (overall and in Epi). One thing I hate about UT is the classes are split up btw 4 campuses throughout TX, forcing students to a lot of the courses through ITV (basically video conferencing) and online--- which can totally comprise the quality of the course. Also, UT Epi advanced courses only concentrate on Genetics and Molecular Bio, whereas Columbia Epi has that and much more.

With that said, UT is still not bad of a school, and I do have the opportunity here to continue my cancer epi research job (although I don't want to work full time while I'm school).

Anyway, will it matter to med schools or PhD programs where I get an MPH??? If it will not matter then obv I want the cheaper route and save $50K!!

I really wish money was not an issue bc I would certainly pick Columbia PH since it's a higher quality school with better range of classes (w. the profs physically present!!), faculty, and research.

Please help... I only have 3 weeks to decide btw both schools :*(

Members don't see this ad.

Well I think that as long as you do well in your MPH program and seek out a good practicuum it shouldn't matter which school you attend. I'm not totally sure, but I would assume the most important thing is that you do well academically wherever you choose to go.

SmartAlek said:
Well I think that as long as you do well in your MPH program and seek out a good practicuum it shouldn't matter which school you attend. I'm not totally sure, but I would assume the most important thing is that you do well academically wherever you choose to go.

Oh yeah, do well on any research/thesis requirements too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy ****, 30k for an MPH?

I got mine for free fortunately, otherwise there's no way I would have done it.

SmartAlek,

I'm trying to get my current work experience to count as my practicum. I work as an Assistant Epidemiologist (fancy name for research assistants) in Cancer Epi at MD Anderson Cancer Center. If I were to stay here, I would be able to keep this job on a part time basis, which would count as great work experience, right?

Also, I got accepted to the global health track at UT, where in Columbia I will NOT have this opportunity. I feel really excited about this aspect of UT, as this will allow me to get international field experience.

And this may sound silly, but I feel like I'll do better academically at UT bc at Columbia most of the MPH students are MDs or have significant work experience, with whom I would have to compete... A LOT... for funding, recognition, opportunity, etc. I'm am a very aggressive student, but I am inexperienced and this may hold me back (eg: At Columbia, I didn't get into specific training programs or global health track since they require 2 years prior experience!)

Anyway, what do you think? Other's advice/suggestions are welcome too. Thanks.

SmartAlek said:

Hi Cyperalz,

I am pretty certain that your work at MD Anderson would count as your practicum. And yes, working there on a p/t basis would definitely be wonderful work experience. Sounds like you are on a very good track. :)

If you are very interested in the global health track then you should go to UT where you can pursue it. There is a global health track at my school and many students spend the summer after the first year abroad usually in underdeveloped countries where they gain lots of valuable experience. Perhaps you would like to do something like this as well.

I totally understand what you mean when it comes to academic competitiveness. Many of the students in my program are MDs or hold positions at the CDC and other organizations so that they do have larger store of experience and knowledge. However, I would'nt underestimate UT. Right there in the Texas Medical Center, I am sure that you may come across MDs, PhDs, etc. in your classes. So just know that you will have to remain an aggressive student wherever you choose to go. :luck:

cyperalz said:
SmartAlek,

I'm trying to get my current work experience to count as my practicum. I work as an Assistant Epidemiologist (fancy name for research assistants) in Cancer Epi at MD Anderson Cancer Center. If I were to stay here, I would be able to keep this job on a part time basis, which would count as great work experience, right?

Also, I got accepted to the global health track at UT, where in Columbia I will NOT have this opportunity. I feel really excited about this aspect of UT, as this will allow me to get international field experience.

And this may sound silly, but I feel like I'll do better academically at UT bc at Columbia most of the MPH students are MDs or have significant work experience, with whom I would have to compete... A LOT... for funding, recognition, opportunity, etc. I'm am a very aggressive student, but I am inexperienced and this may hold me back (eg: At Columbia, I didn't get into specific training programs or global health track since they require 2 years prior experience!)

Anyway, what do you think? Other's advice/suggestions are welcome too. Thanks.

to your question of "will it matter to med schools or PhD programs where I get an MPH???" Thats like the same thing as asking "will it matter where I went to undergrad?"

It probably will to a certain degree, but it probably wont be the deciding factor UNLESS you are aiming for Columbia University - College of Physicians and Surgeons.

If you are more serious about public health than medicine, i would choose Columbia. If its the other way around, I would choose UT.

on a side note:

1. 80K? Good Lord! Imagine adding 150K more for Medical school, that's pretty scary.

2. I find no problems with ITV. Most of the upper division Epi professors are in Houston, like Adv Epi Methods and Field Epi. The ITV is kinda fun sometimes, and most likely only used for basic requirement classes.

3. money is always an issue. ALWAYS. do what you can afford.

Good luck.

cyperalz said:
I will starting MPH (Epi track) at Columbia this fall, and am considering med school or PHD afterwards. The problem is that potentially I have to take out $80K loans to finish the MPH at Columbia, which seems just too much if I wanted to continue onto med. school or PhD program since I have to take out more loans for them.

So, this has seriously led me to consider MPH at UT Houston, which will be $30K max.

Now, in my research of classes and correspondence w/ faculty, Columbia PH is def a better school than UT's (overall and in Epi). One thing I hate about UT is the classes are split up btw 4 campuses throughout TX, forcing students to a lot of the courses through ITV (basically video conferencing) and online--- which can totally comprise the quality of the course. Also, UT Epi advanced courses only concentrate on Genetics and Molecular Bio, whereas Columbia Epi has that and much more.

With that said, UT is still not bad of a school, and I do have the opportunity here to continue my cancer epi research job (although I don't want to work full time while I'm school).

Anyway, will it matter to med schools or PhD programs where I get an MPH??? If it will not matter then obv I want the cheaper route and save $50K!!

I really wish money was not an issue bc I would certainly pick Columbia PH since it's a higher quality school with better range of classes (w. the profs physically present!!), faculty, and research.

Please help... I only have 3 weeks to decide btw both schools :*(