Does your school send out a HPAB letter w/ recommendations?

str8flexed

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I am pissed. I want to do EDP for MUSC, which interviews on September 1, 8, and 15, and lets me know whether I'm accepted on Oct. 1.

But my school will not let me have my letters of recommendation and HPAB packet until September 15! This is obviously a little too late.

Here's the deal. If I had gotten all my recommendation letters in by June 1st, I can have my letters and packet available by August 1. But I got them in after June 1st (but before July 1st), so I have to have the LATE deadline of getting my letters ready on September 15.

Okay it's my fault for not making the deadline perhaps, but shouldn't they be able to make ONE exception for an EARLY DECISION applicant to get his letters out slightly earlier?? I'm just asking perhaps mid-late August, AFTER the people who met the deadline, but not quite as late as the late deadline.

If they absolutely refuse to get my HPAB packet ready earlier than September 15, I may just say screw it and have them send my 5 LOR's mid-august w/o the HPAB packet. But the secretary said "It looks bad to not have a packet from your school." How important would this HPAB packet be anyway? I am just pissed because the Career Services office is supposed to be working with students to help them get into graduate programs, not hindering them, and this is definitely not helping me.

So does your school send a HPAB letter w/ your LOR's? I thought that many people just have LOR's sent to medical schools w/o a packet. I figure the packet is just regurgitated information from my resume and LOR's and a measley mock interview, so with 5 additional LOR's, the HPAB packet is really just superfluous information. Let me know what you think...

Thanks,

Adam

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
If your undergrad programl is well known to the med school to which you are applying (many applicants every year) than the adcom is expecting something that they aren't going to get. This raises the question, "where is it? does this guy have something to hide?"

Less of an issue if you are the first person in 10 years to apply to MUSC from Penn (is that possible?) and the adcom at MUSC doesn't know what they are missing.

Deadlines are important, people. The career services office is there to help but you have to do your part. Sob stories don't always work. Ditto for med school offices so consider it a tuition payment in the school of hard knocks.

TSK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Most med schools require that you use the HPAB if your school does it, which of course Penn does. There are a lot of other kids who want to go to medical school just as badly as you do, both EDP and regular decision. I know it sucks that you weren't able to make the deadline and it may not have even been your fault but you shouldn't expect any special favors because of it. If they do this for you, they'd have to do it for everyone else who asks as well.

str8flexed said:
I am pissed. I want to do EDP for MUSC, which interviews on September 1, 8, and 15, and lets me know whether I'm accepted on Oct. 1.

But my school will not let me have my letters of recommendation and HPAB packet until September 15! This is obviously a little too late.

Here's the deal. If I had gotten all my recommendation letters in by June 1st, I can have my letters and packet available by August 1. But I got them in after June 1st (but before July 1st), so I have to have the LATE deadline of getting my letters ready on September 15.

Okay it's my fault for not making the deadline perhaps, but shouldn't they be able to make ONE exception for an EARLY DECISION applicant to get his letters out slightly earlier?? I'm just asking perhaps mid-late August, AFTER the people who met the deadline, but not quite as late as the late deadline.

If they absolutely refuse to get my HPAB packet ready earlier than September 15, I may just say screw it and have them send my 5 LOR's mid-august w/o the HPAB packet. But the secretary said "It looks bad to not have a packet from your school." How important would this HPAB packet be anyway? I am just pissed because the Career Services office is supposed to be working with students to help them get into graduate programs, not hindering them, and this is definitely not helping me.

So does your school send a HPAB letter w/ your LOR's? I thought that many people just have LOR's sent to medical schools w/o a packet. I figure the packet is just regurgitated information from my resume and LOR's and a measley mock interview, so with 5 additional LOR's, the HPAB packet is really just superfluous information. Let me know what you think...

Thanks,

Adam

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oops, that sucks that you missed the deadline. If they make an exception for you, they'll have to make one for everyone unless you can assure them that you'll keep your mouth shut. Or maybe if you know someone in the office.

It could be worse. You can still apply regular decision. I don't think Sept. 15 is a death sentence. :)

Slide

Finally, no more "training"
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
coco11 said:
what's HPAB?
Health Pre-Advisory Board. A fancy way of naming the pre-med committe that writes the letters at Penn.

OP
str8flexed

str8flexed

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
Status
Medical Student
You're wrong B3RT! It stands for Health Professions Advisory Board. -1 rep for you.

fakehat

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status
Well, to be fair they did send us emails starting back in April warning us about the deadline.