Does your school still use microscope to study histology slides?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summer.Thunder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is my question.

or you just study digital images?

Members don't see this ad.

Its optional. Histotime CD is what most use since its easier then looking around a slide for something that may or may not be there

here at loyola we're doing everything digitally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the last class at LSU Shreveport that used microscopes. The most excellent Dr. Desha had put all of the slides on CD by that time so attendance at histo lab gradually petered out to nothing. I don't beleive they are even charging the students for microscope rental anymore but if I'm wrong I am willing to be corrected.

I think if you know how to look at a peripheral smear and a wet-prep you'll probably know 99 percent of what you need to unless you go into pathology.

Summer.Thunder said:
That is my question.

or you just study digital images?

Wow, seriously? In our school we have double-headed microscopes and tv screens, but we definitely have to use the scope! Also for the practical...

Isn't that a lot like using digital images for anatomy (would've been nice...)?

Glad you updated your blog Panda

BU still uses all slides although there is a CD ROM available with all the images on it. The intentionally have not gone digital as they believe microscope skills are still important. In general BU is very old school.

UCLAstudent said:
Digital at UCLA

MCG still uses microscopes for labs and practicals, but they also have additional digital images on laserdiscs. Word is they might move to all digital in the next couple of years. We'll see.

it's old school here.. seriously our labs (and slides) are really really old and we have the "occasional" cock-a-roach- did you know those things can fly?

Class of '09 was the last one to use glass in histo. This next class is going all digital. I look forward to seeing what's going to happen in our histopathology classes this year...