Does your Step 2 CK score matter if you take it after the match/ after ROLs in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennie 21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if your step 2 ck score matters if you take it after ROLs are in or after the match. For example, would a poor Step 2 ck score raise a red flag when you are applying for fellowships? Is it used for anything else? How about not doing poorly, but scoring around the mean (if you scored ~235 on Step 1).

Basically, I'm scheduled to take the exam March 8th, only gave myself 10 days to study, and while I feel pretty confident that I'll pass, how I'll do is another matter. My average on USMLEWORLD at the moment is about 62-64%. Would you suggest pushing back Step 2 (this would require paying the fee all over again, because I'm traveling out of the country after Match day and my eligibility expires March 31st, and I've already used the extension) or just go ahead, suck it up, and take the test knowing I'll pass but probably not do well?

Also I should mention I only started studying four days ago...and still have 5 1/2 days left to study, so I might be able to improve my score a bit still. I've just forgotten so much of what I learned 3rd year by now!

Members don't see this ad.

Take it pass and go have fun. It does not matter for anything. I have heard of very few fellowships that look. I know multiple people who had 230s-240s on step 1 and took step 2 in Dec and did not submit scores and got around 200s-210s

I guess if you did really well, someone might think it was pretty neat when you're applying to fellowship.

It's really only going to have a role in helping you match initially.