Does your Undergraduate school partly determine what medical school you go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minigirly17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if it the undergraduate school you attended determined the medical school you go to. I was thinking about going to a small private college called Willamette in Orgeon, but after graduating going to Oregon Health and Science University. Should I be going to a Undergraduate school with it's own medical school, or is it OK to go to a different Undergraduate than the medical school you are aiming for. :)

Members don't see this ad.

does forcing new members to wait a while before they can start their own threads reduce the amount of cross-posted threads?

THE ANSWER IS YES!!!!!

I think so. AdCom members at the med school of my university told me that a high GPA (~3.8) from an easy school is not valued nearly as much as the same GPA at a tough school. Also, your major matters! A 3.8 GPA with a major in Biochemistry or Chemistry looks A TON better than a 3.8 in something like Theatre Arts (no offense to theatre arts majors).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think so. AdCom members at the med school of my university told me that a high GPA (~3.8) from an easy school is not valued nearly as much as the same GPA at a tough school. Also, your major matters! A 3.8 GPA with a major in Biochemistry or Chemistry looks A TON better than a 3.8 in something like Theatre Arts (no offense to theatre arts majors).
This is highly variable and not necessarily true.

Utilize the search function... it's the dust covered, rusted, unused button on SDN. The long and short of it is, yes of course it matters a little but not terribly.... perhaps a little more at the elites. The MCAT is the great validator/equilizer of GPA's and schools and pretty much your life in general. So your 4.0 at Unknown U with a 35+ MCAT still means something. So work hard and fly right... wait a minute... that's the Continental Airlines slogan.

The MCAT will equilibrate any concerns over undergrad school or GPA (within limits).

If you want to relocate, Oregon is one of the few places where residents don't get awesome treatment.

I wouldn't worry too much about going to a school associated with the medical school. Plus- OHSU doesn't have an undergraduate university directly associated with it. OHSU has great statistics on their website about the number of students who applied and the percentage of those accepted from all the universities in Oregon. I don't think that the fact that Willamette is small will put you at a disadvantage compared to those applying from UO, OSU, or PSU, just make sure Willamette has a good science department and the advising to prepare you for med school. Often you can find stats on the undergraduate websites about the % of students who apply and % that get into at least one medical school each year. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

(P.S. I went to a small college in Washington and will be attending OHSU in the fall.)

Status
Not open for further replies.