bosox_9

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
60
0
Boston
Status
Hey everybody...long time reader, first time poster, finally decided to join in because there's some great info here. Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on having a dog in dental school. I'm fairly certain I'll have a dog with me, but I'm hoping for anyone's two cents on factors like:

- dog being alone all day without much attention or exercise
- the time committments of d-school
- finding housing that allows a dog
- anything else I overlooked

feel free to fire away.
 

ChippedToothOSU

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
29
0
37
OSU Campus
Status
my gf wants to get a dog and keep it at my place...but i had the same thoughts. i wont be there to take care of it at all. i just dont think i ll have the time a dog requires. i think ill have alot to worry about while im in d-school and i dont think id need the added weight of caring for an animal....i cant even take care of my fish!!! anyways, i still want a dog....
 

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
80
0
Status
ChippedToothOSU said:
my gf wants to get a dog and keep it at my place...but i had the same thoughts. i wont be there to take care of it at all. i just dont think i ll have the time a dog requires. i think ill have alot to worry about while im in d-school and i dont think id need the added weight of caring for an animal....i cant even take care of my fish!!! anyways, i still want a dog....



Dude, a dog helps the well being. You will need that just as much as you will need time to study.

BALANCE MY SON!
 

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
1,297
1
Visit site
Status
i think the toughest part would be finding a place to live that allowed dogs... out of all the places I looked at, i did not notice any that allowed dogs. other than that just make sure you pick out a type and age of dog that doesn't demand a lot of exercise or supervision, for example i don't think you want to try to train a puppy while in school 9 hours a day and studying or sleeping almost the rest of the time.
 

NCdds

Louisville 2009
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
50
0
36
NC -> KY
Status
I have 2 dogs I'll be taking with me to dental school, and I'm planning on buying a house because of this (one is a rottweiler). I do have a husband that can help with the dogs, but even if I didn't, I'd still have them. I would not try to get a puppy and raise it while in school, but an adult dog can easily adjust to a schedule of getting a good walk/attention in the morning and when you get home. There are apartments that allow dogs, but it's common that it's under 50 pounds, and a deposit is usually required. One more thing to consider is the cost of having a dog, from food to vet bills, just make sure in your budget you'd be able to pay for them! But the love and companionship of having a dog is well worth it! Just think of coming home from a long day at school to a happy little dog!
 

kato999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2004
344
1
39
Status
Dentist
I would say almost half our class has either a dog or cat. Most own their places though, so this number probably won't be as high for most schools.
 
4

45540

you can definitely manage it ... just find a place that allows pets and go with that. You'll have to go home during lunch to take them out sometimes, and then after school to let them out.
 

IWuvTeef

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
392
0
36
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Dentist
CJWolf said:
you can definitely manage it ... just find a place that allows pets and go with that. You'll have to go home during lunch to take them out sometimes, and then after school to let them out.
yes, definetely make sure you have time to walk them. imagine not being able to pee from 8am to 5pm...
 

Mr. So-So

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2001
141
0
Visit site
Status
i kept 2 dogs at home in dental school....plus a super moody female friend.

I walked and played with the dogs every day..and gave "quality time" to loved ones.
you just make the time.
dental school isn't always easy...but you can still have a personal/family life.
 

UDM or bust

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
45
0
Status
my wife and i are starting to look at dogs for the fall when we leave our current apartment - i had all of the same concerns - after reading these posts - i feel much better about getting a dog later this summer. THANKS!
 

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
3,339
26
Longitude 80.0W Latitude 40.44N
Status
Non-Student
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought you were refering to "dogs" in dental school as "guys in dental school good with chicks"! :laugh:

Yes ladies, beware of "dogs", where my "dog pound" at?
 

TX Hopeful

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
124
0
Status
I agree that dog's are the best companions for "balance" and non-conditional love. However, I love big dogs. Nothing against smaller, Jessica Simpson-type lap dogs, but a dog has to be more interactive.

That being the case, I don't think it would be very humane to coop it up in an apartment while I was in class, the lab, or the library all day. Some people can make it happen (i.e. if they're married, own a house, etc). By my personal, specific situation isn't conducive.

My solution is to date women with dogs :love: . Rest assured though...once I graduate and start practicing dentistry, a dog is one of the first things I'll bring into my life.
 

gatorf150

UPENN class of 2009
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
49
0
36
Gainesville, FL
Visit site
Status
Pugs are good apartment dogs. They are cool and full of personality!! There downside they snore and are very manipulative. They also don't require long walks like some bigger dogs. If you have seen there breathing aparatus it is obvious they get winded pretty easy. I have a 2year old black pug and I got him at 8 weeks. He was pretty much house trained by a few months, Although until he was about 6-8 months old he couldn't hold it all day. So if you want one trained by august it would be better to get a little older dog who is already house broken or start shopping soon. Some private landlords have more flexible pet policies...they may advertise no pets but if you talk to them they will a lot of times allow it on a case by case. Mine did and didn't even charge pet fee or deposit which was nice.
 

NCdds

Louisville 2009
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
50
0
36
NC -> KY
Status
gatorf150 said:
Pugs are good apartment dogs. They are cool and full of personality!! There downside they snore and are very manipulative. They also don't require long walks like some bigger dogs. If you have seen there breathing aparatus it is obvious they get winded pretty easy. I have a 2year old black pug and I got him at 8 weeks. He was pretty much house trained by a few months, Although until he was about 6-8 months old he couldn't hold it all day. So if you want one trained by august it would be better to get a little older dog who is already house broken or start shopping soon. Some private landlords have more flexible pet policies...they may advertise no pets but if you talk to them they will a lot of times allow it on a case by case. Mine did and didn't even charge pet fee or deposit which was nice.
Also if your dog completes obedience classes or get their canine good citizen certificate a lot of renters are more likely to allow a dog...
 

marshall

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
218
0
37
Visit site
Status
Dentist
We just got a golden retriever puppy and I'll be starting school in the fall in Philadelphia. The dog is definitiely with me for the long haul through dental school. I'll make it work. I've also got three cats and fish. Maybe I should have been a vet :D
 

Attachments