Dogs in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is an unusual question.

Has anybody who has a dog (say >30 lbs) contemplated the details of keeping it while in med school?

any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

there is a post on pets in medical school in the medical forum, i will search for it now, but just so u know!

Members don't see this ad :)
DrM,

Have you thought of putting the dog to good use? After all, everyone could use a little more experience in gross anatomy first-year? What about dog jerky? It might help supplement the mediocre cafeteria food? :p

Hey DrM (and others)-

As the OP on the other thread, I just thought I'd give an update on my situation. I've asked about having a dog while in med school at every interview I've been to. A few of the students I've talked to have dogs themselves, and say that it takes a little work, but they haven't had major problems. I think it helps to go to a school where you have fewer in-class hours, or at least enough flexibility so you can go home and walk him/her. (Since you already live w/ a dog, I'm sure you're familiar w/ this.)

So I'm gonna go for it! :clap: The puppy should be born any day, and can come home in early January! Which will give me a solid 6-8 months before med school starts. I'm so excited, I can't wait! :D

When residency started, I was working the usual 40 hour shifts every third to fourth day (...you young whippersnappers have no idea!!!). My husband was commuting for the first year and was only home on the weekends.

My poor dogs! These were older dogs that I had had for 8 years...there was no way I could think of giving them up. But they were so lonely and unhappy. We paid a dog sitter to come over and feed them and check on them on the days I was on call, but they were just so miserable. It got much better when my husband relocated to our town; he could come home at lunch and walk them or play with them, but that first year was a killer.

Something to think about if you don't have a partner to help out. With the new mandates, call should be a lot better for you guys, though. I worked an average of 110 to 120 hours per week - you guys shouldn't see more than 80 (BIG difference, believe me... ;) )

i got a puppy during my undergrad career and it was the worst possible thing in the world for my dog.

moving is very hard with a dog, many many places don't allow them

you have to treat a dog the same way you would treat a child, and it is hard when you are so busy to give enough attention to a dog.

luckily my parents kept the dog for me when i graduated, because i couldn't find a place where i could take him.

believe me he is much better off in a place with a yard, versus an apartment with very little space.

I think I have to agree with marakah and womansurg. It's probably not fair to the dog to keep one during med school. No matter how much you say you love your dog, he/she needs a lot of your attention. They won't understand that you have to study for exams, or be on call. And keeping a big dog cooped up in an apartment (if they'll even let you have a dog) is not really good for the animal.

I have a little dog, and I would never have the heart to leave him cooped up alone for so long. Luckily, my parents can take care of him while I'm away at school. If you're really interested in having a furry pet, you could consider a cat because they can "take care of themselves" more than a dog can. They don't need a lot of room, and they don't mind being alone as much. I still don't know how well they'd fare with a med student though, so as much as I would like some companionship, I think I'll just stick to my fish. :)

i plan to get a cat if i end up living somewhere that allows them and is spacious enough for a cat. i need someone cuddly to keep me company. i'm also considering a miniature dachsund! those little guys are so cute!

I have a Yorkie who has been a GREAT apartment dog. Right now I'm working full time and doing post bacc, so I do have time to hang with her, but I'm not really that worried about med school. The first 2 years should be OK, and as far as the clinical years go, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it (in at least 5 years). There are a lot of great pet sitters around, plus I'm sure my family will help out too.

I just wouldn't recommend getting a large breed. They need lots of time and space!