dogs overseas, gre, online prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatveg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a couple of questions. I have a degree in dental hygiene. I'm 30 years old and I'm considering vet school. The prereqs? I really have to work full time and I would like to take two classes a semester. What courses can i take online? I read that biochemistry online at Mn. is possible...but only 3 credits? I think Wisconsin requires 5 credits. What else could I take online? Does everyone have to take the gre test? I plan on applying everywhere including overseas when it's time. I have a dog. Do all counties require quarentine? A month without my baby! Cost to ship and board him? Would I have to dorm it? Or could I get a place for us? Any way to work while in vet school? or does everyone live off loans and ramin noodles? Last I checked vets make 50,000 - 75,000? True? A patient of mine, his son is a vet in Fl making, (according to him) a couple hundred thousand. Ten years practicing in small animal. He went to Ross cause he couldn't get into Madison. I heard not so great stuff about Ross. Please help my head from spinning.

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest problem you will find with taking pre-reqs is that the majority of schools only offer them during normal business hours which can make the school/work balance quite difficult. Also, online coursework really isnt ideal and pretty much a flat out bad idea if you are intending to apply "everywhere including overseas" as many schools wont accept the online courses.

GRE will be a must for pretty much every schoo.

If you are working full time will you be able to manage accumulating the necessary amount of veterinary and animal related experience? 1000+ hours of veterinary experience seems like the norm around here.

I think the important question to ask is "Why do you want to be a vet?".

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that the most important thing to realize is that you probably won't be ready to apply to vet schools, after you've made sure that you 100% want to do this, for at least 3-4 years. You'll need many hours of veterinary and animal experience. You might have to leave or go part-time at your current job to pick up hours at a vet clinic. You should also consider volunteering at a local humane society, shelter, zoo, etc. in your free time. As for the classes, many vets do not consider anything older than 6-8 years so you will probably be starting from scratch no matter what you took in college previously. At two classes a semester, plus one or two during the summer, it would take you... six semesters? So, two or three years at least.

These are all considerations when deciding if this is really what you'd like to do. If you're sure, though, it's definitely possible if you work hard. Good luck!

I applied to Madison and had taken Biochem at Mn on-line (I'm IS for Mn). Didn't get in to Madison (lower GPA than I should've had to apply there) but no issue classwise.

As for out of the country, the UK does NOT quarantine IF your animal meets the requirements. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm That can be an expensive process (and honestly one I would not put any of our 3 cats or dog through).

Good luck! If it's something you truly want, you'll do it!

I have sent in my transcripts to uw madison and I only have to take the sciences and statistics. I took harder classes working full time. I only work 4 days a week now. I have volunteered at best friends and farm sanctuary, plus I help out at my humane society and our er vet office. uw madison said I wouldn't need as many hours because I work in a health profession where I see 10-12 patients a day. In Milwaukee they offer alot of night classes. So far I can take statistics, biology, and chemistry at night or on sats. I know vet school is a big commitment...I think about the pay cut, but it's my passion. I want to help animals and be their advocate.

That's good! Sounds like you have a plan. In that case, you just need to sign up for the GRE sometime, get a bit more vet experience (for good measure, or at least just keep up what you're doing already), make sure you have some good references for your eLORs (one of which should be a vet), and take those classes.

As for the other questions you asked that haven't been addressed yet (you asked quite a few!)... you should know that applying to vet school through VMCAS is expensive, and different schools have different pre-reqs, so you should do your research and narrow down your choices to, I would say... <10 schools. Of course that's up to you.

You could possibly work in vet school, but it would be hard. If you're used to keeping a packed schedule with lots of stress and responsibility, you might be okay. Maybe you could just do part-time. Loans can usually cover the cost of living, but how much you actually borrow is your choice. I think that the 4th year studies would be very hard to work during, though... clinical rotations are time consuming.

The income range you mentioned is about the average starting pay of a private practice vet here in the U.S. as far as I know. The patient's son is very, very lucky... or the patient is exaggerating... either way, I would say that a salary that large would be rare. Not impossible, perhaps, but I wouldn't personally count on ever making that much.

Ross gets a bad rep as someone's "last chance school" but it remains debatable as to how good/bad it really is. It's not accredited, but it has still educated some excellent vets. It's just a different lifestyle out on "the island" and such.

I think that answers your questions... a lot of these are my personal opinions, and someone tell me if I'm being misleading.

"the sciences" is not exactly a small amount of class work and as someone stated above you are easily looking at 2+ years to complete them. To get them done based on the 2 classes a semester you mentioned, you are looking at something along the lines of: (on a semester by semester basis)

bio 1, chem 1
bio 2, chem 2
orgo 1, microbio
orgo 2, genetics,
biochem, physics 1
physics 2, statistics

Thats the bare minimum to be really considered anywehre. It also doesnt include microbio lab, cell and molecular bio, or nutrition which are also pretty common requirements. Also keep in mind you need to finish gen chems and bio's before you can take orgo. In most cases orgo is a co-req for microbio.

So figure out where you are planning to go and start enrolling in classes. Determine if you will be able to get into everything you need(microbio labs have a tendancy to be full) and if enrolling in a degree program would be beneficial.

If you're looking at UW-Madison, the required coursework is listed here:

http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/Required_course_work.29.1.html

If you're also looking at other places, you should probably check out their requirements before starting to take classes.

As for living off of loans and ramen noodles: I'm living completely off of loans (as is my SO) and we definitely have enough money for a fairly nice place, to go out to dinner sometimes etc.

You can work a little bit in vet school, but they generally don't recommend it for the first semester (though quite a few people in my class did). It can be done, but during test weeks, it sucks a little more. A job with flexible hours would be ideal. Working full time during the summer is obviously completely doable.

Ross gets a bad rep as someone's "last chance school" but it remains debatable as to how good/bad it really is. It's not accredited, but it has still educated some excellent vets. It's just a different lifestyle out on "the island" and such.

Because Ross isn't accredited, a lot of people look down on it, and true, if you don't want to keep going through the application cycles, it is your last chance school. But while it may be easier to get in, it has a strong weeding out program. So it seems to me if you're cut out for the academics, but didn't have the high GPA for whatever reason (Working, stress, illness, etc....) but have it in you, you'll make it here, and be a darn good vet.
I've been put in touch with a Ross grad in the last few months, and now I'm meeting them through a lot of contacts. Personally, I think their reputation is growing due to the caliber of veterinarians they are graduating.
I think my GPA would have gotten me into my IS if I had one, especially with my strong GRE's and work hours. I'll probably try for Eidenburgh and Glascow also next year, but I'm also putting Ross on my list this time. Because I know that I will find a way to be a vet.
Good luck eatveg, I believe there's a path for everyone who keeps on trying.

You are very smart to pursue your PASSION and not just go for the money or hours. Going to work and loving it and truly making a difference is what makes it worthwhile. YOU GO GIRL! :clap: