dogs while in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a puppy while in med school if you are living alone? Does anyone have experiences juggling these two commitments?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually debating that myself. When I leave in the fall I'd love to take my dog with me, but I think it would be too much of a distraction. It's gonna suck if I go to school far away:(

If you're not completely opposed to having a cat, they are a little bit more autonomous, I don't believe they require as much attention (depending on the breed). Food in the bowl in the morning, cleanup litter box on the weekend, leave toilet flushed and seat up, wallah, autonomous pet! And of course, play with them every now and then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt get a puppy. They need a whole lot of attention and its not fair for them when you are going to be out all day and sometimes all night. I think a cat would be a better pet for med school.

I don't have experience with this, but let me say I thought about it long and hard. I reallllllly wanted a puppy but the more I thought about it the more I decided against it.

1) I don't want a really small dog and those are the only ones that work really well in an eensy apartment

2) I don't want to have to worry about coming home and letting the dog out in between classes/study break.

3) During 3rd and 4th year, I won't have the option of worrying about letting the dog out because I won't be able to leave whenever I want.

4) As an intern, you have no time. Your dog will be unhappy and take it out on the apartment/house...which would not only be expensive but break my heart.

So I've come to the conclusion that (depending on my residency) I'll get a dog after my first year of residency when I either have a house or a bigger apartment and more regular hours. For the time being I've got 2 adorable bunnies. Not quite as cuddly or as fun, but they're fine with being in a cage most of the day and they're much cheaper to maintain.

I have two dogs (almost 200 lbs of dog) and I'll be starting in August, so it must be possible. I also have had friends that got dogs while in med school and I think it actually helped them a great deal. It was a good stress reliever as having a dog forces you to spend some time outside.

Besides what is better than a happy dog when you come home! I do know that all of the schools that I looked at did not allow dogs in their housing- but it you aren't taking advantage of the school's housing that shouldn't be a problem.

Lastly- a puppy may be a bit more difficult than a trained dog. They take more time. I'd suggest getting the puppy soon and training it prior to starting med school. Or you could crate train the dog and hire a dog walker in the middle of the day. It all depends on how close you are to school and your schedule.

But- it's doable- as everything is- you just have to work out the kinks!

good luck...I'd say the trouble it well worth it!

Originally posted by MDTom
If you're not completely opposed to having a cat, they are a little bit more autonomous, I don't believe they require as much attention (depending on the breed). Food in the bowl in the morning, cleanup litter box on the weekend, leave toilet flushed and seat up, wallah, autonomous pet! And of course, play with them every now and then.

Oh, and you might want to think about having two cats instead of one. They will keep each other company, and play with each other. I have two short hair tabbys that work well with each other. Make sure that you either get two males, a male and a female, but not two females. A childhood's worth of experience has taught me that two female cats, even if they're spade [sp?] will create two neurotic tense cats, and an f'ed up home.

I can also recommend cockatiels as really good but low maintenance pets. I grew up with dogs and thought there could never be another pet for me, but I'm not allowed to have dogs in my apartment, so I got a bird. You would be surprised at how much personality they have, and they can just sit on your shoulder or walk around while you are studying. Be careful with them around your notes though, they like to chew on paper!

I've thought about this question a lot over the past few months (I love animals!) and have decided that two cats would be the best for me. They are pretty autonomous, and they can keep each other company when I am off somewhere chained to my books! They wash themselves and don't mess up the carpet, which is a big plus in my book. :D

I also love fish. I've had anywhere from 1-6 bettas for the past three years in my dorm room, and they're great! Super low maintenance! :D

Don't worry, I plan to keep any cats I get away from the fish. Besides, it will be great entertainment for the kitties. Hehehe... :smuggrin:

I would NOT get a puppy. If your heart is set on a dog, get an older dog who is already housebroken. I love puppies, but they will take years off your life, even if you have plenty of time to spend with them.

Young puppies will need to go outside about every 2 hours. Are you going to be able to be home to facilitate that?

I don't see why not as long as you get an apt that allows pets. Im fairly certain the answer is "no" if you are staying in University dorm housing. I know I wouldn't want a hallmate to have a dog defecating all over the floors ... but that's just me :p

Coops

Originally posted by MDTom
A childhood's worth of experience has taught me that two female cats, even if they're spade [sp?] will create two neurotic tense cats, and an f'ed up home.

Whoa- no joke, just as I was reading this one of my two female cats ran into my room full speed and then darted out. Weeeiiird :scared:

Get a fish tank. Fish rock, except when they die :(