Mar 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Okay so I may not get into dental school this year. So my plan is to complete a 1 yr masters/SMP this fall to improve my application.

What I want to know is if I'm ok to apply for the upcoming dental school cycle (Fall 2011) while completing my 1 yr masters?? Because I definitely don't want to take another year off. Has anyone else already taken this route and got into d-school? Please let me know!

Jun 8, 2009
USA
Status
Pre-Dental
If you want to get into school for Fall 2011 then you should try to begin the SMP in the summer if at all possible. You need to get as many credits as possible before they begin their initial reviews. If you are still doing your Masters then your application will probably be put on hold until December and it might be too late by then.

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
Okay so I may not get into dental school this year. So my plan is to complete a 1 yr masters/SMP this fall to improve my application.

What I want to know is if I'm ok to apply for the upcoming dental school cycle (Fall 2011) while completing my 1 yr masters?? Because I definitely don't want to take another year off. Has anyone else already taken this route and got into d-school? Please let me know!
I would assume that you are doing the 1 years masters program to improve your GPA. If you wait and enroll until Fall, your current grades will be sent to the schools, and your masters GPA won't be seen by admissions committees until late in the game, after the academic update. However, it never hurts to apply. Start your masters ASAP, and apply this year. Worst case scenario, you don't get in and your masters GPA helps you get in to the class of 2016

mikus813

10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental

I did an SMP at Tulane last year and applied to dschool at the same time. Just be sure to inform whoever is in charge at each school about your situation. Do very well Fall semester and send your grades in ASAP after Fall finals. Usually, that's all the admissions committee needs since they assume you'll be getting the masters.

noles

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2008
Status
Dental Student
do you have a link to this program at tulane? thanks