Doing a former AOA residency in opto as MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khrisskhoras

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I got my score for step 1 and scored in the low 230's, which is somewhat disappointing but expected since I pretty much scored at my NBME/UWSA average. But anyway, I have my eyes set on opthalmology (no pun intended) and I realize my score is low and that I can rehabilitate myself with strong clinical grades, step 2 etc etc. I get all that. But I am just wondering now with the merger between AOA+ACGME, how much more receptive are the soon-to-be former AOA residencies to accepting MDs for opthalmology? Will it be a good idea to consider some AOA optho spots? Just wondering if anyone here has any input on this.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Only 4 AOA ophtho programs have gotten accreditation. With the number of highly qualified D.Os applying they will be very competitive and I wouldn't count on them.

Only 4 AOA ophtho programs have gotten accreditation. With the number of highly qualified D.Os applying they will be very competitive and I wouldn't count on them.

Is there actually any evidence that they will continue taking DOs? Former AOA ortho programs have been taking MDs and people are expecting that in a few years it will be difficult for DOs to match into those programs. I do not think former AOA programs are just favoring DOs - seems like they are taking the best residents that they can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there actually any evidence that they will continue taking DOs? Former AOA ortho programs have been taking MDs and people are expecting that in a few years it will be difficult for DOs to match into those programs. I do not think former AOA programs are just favoring DOs - seems like they are taking the best residents that they can.

I don't think they will exclusively take DOs. I'm just saying there will be a number of highly qualified DOs applying to these positions, 250 boards, pubs, letters. These programs will at the least give DOs a fair shake. The poster asked if it might be easier to get into a previous DO program given his situation and that will not be the case.

I don't think they will exclusively take DOs. I'm just saying there will be a number of highly qualified DOs applying to these positions, 250 boards, pubs, letters. These programs will at the least give DOs a fair shake. The poster asked if it might be easier to get into a previous DO program given his situation and that will not be the case.

Yeah, that might be the case. But I would think over the next few years the same thing that people are expecting to happen to the former AOA ortho programs will happen to the ophthalmology programs - MDs will start to saturate these programs, making them essentially very similar to low-tier programs that were always ACGME to begin with. Every PD is trying to bolster the reputation of their own program, after all. We will have to see what unfolds in the next few years, as nothing is certain.

Yeah, that might be the case. But I would think over the next few years the same thing that people are expecting to happen to the former AOA ortho programs will happen to the ophthalmology programs - MDs will start to saturate these programs, making them essentially very similar to low-tier programs that were always ACGME to begin with. Every PD is trying to bolster the reputation of their own program, after all. We will have to see what unfolds in the next few years, as nothing is certain.

It's going to be program dependent. These programs want the best applicants. Sometimes its the MD applicant sometimes its the DO. The AOA ortho programs that have attained accreditation have taken MDs and DOs. The saint john's ophtho program has had ACGME accreditation since 2016 and only has DOs.

Good points made.

The reason I ask this is because the unmatched ophtho average was 228 last year, and i'd assume that the remaining spots in these newly-ACGME accredited AOA residencies over the next few years will be filled by these unmatched seniors. So instead of competing with 245+ step 1, you'd be up against more average stats and a less stellar cohort.

Hey all,

So I got my score for step 1 and scored in the low 230's, which is somewhat disappointing but expected since I pretty much scored at my NBME/UWSA average. But anyway, I have my eyes set on opthalmology (no pun intended) and I realize my score is low and that I can rehabilitate myself with strong clinical grades, step 2 etc etc. I get all that. But I am just wondering now with the merger between AOA+ACGME, how much more receptive are the soon-to-be former AOA residencies to accepting MDs for opthalmology? Will it be a good idea to consider some AOA optho spots? Just wondering if anyone here has any input on this.

Thanks in advance!

I’m sorry, what was the question? I didn’t read anything past when you spelled ophthalmology wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Good points made.

The reason I ask this is because the unmatched ophtho average was 228 last year, and i'd assume that the remaining spots in these newly-ACGME accredited AOA residencies over the next few years will be filled by these unmatched seniors. So instead of competing with 245+ step 1, you'd be up against more average stats and a less stellar cohort.

Nope

Reactions: 1 user
I think the newly added programs will rank future residents based on merit and will obtain the best residents that they can. I don't think it will make it easier to be an Ophthalmologist. The current standard Step 1 score will still apply in the future. I don't see a scenario where these programs become part of SF Match and somehow do not match, thus allowing people to scramble into them. If the average was a 250 last year, will continue to do so.

Good luck, the field of Ophthalmology is awesome and I hope you get a chance to join the club. I can't wait to be part of the fold here in couple weeks and put the intern year where you get dumped on by other services for admissions behind me.

Reactions: 2 users