doing a specialty residency as a D.O. (ped. neuro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mendelmouse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi 2009 student from Unecom...
im very set on becoming a pediatric neurologist. how hard is it to secure a neurology residency from coming from a D.O. background is there anything i can do to beter my chances...such as research etc.
thanks
bmf

Members don't see this ad.

mendelmouse said:
im very set on becoming a pediatric neurologist. how hard is it to secure a neurology residency from coming from a D.O. background is there anything i can do to beter my chances...such as research etc.
thanks
bmf

Hi BMF,
Is this addressed to UNECOM students. Are you a member of the class of 2009? If yes, you should post on class of 2009.

I would say wait till first year at least, to start planing your plan to get into whatever specialty. Also do a search. I think this was brought up before.

mendelmouse said:
thanks
bmf

I did a search at several child neurology residencies, and found DO's in many of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
getting into a good peds program shouldn't be too difficult.

after that, the world is yours, there are a good number of pediatric neuro fellowships.

I think that neuropeds is a seperate field where you match via the sf match. Anyway I've heard that DOs are plentiful in neuro, peds neuro probably the same.

PublicEnemy said:
getting into a good peds program shouldn't be too difficult.

after that, the world is yours, there are a good number of pediatric neuro fellowships.
I've been under the impression that you dont do peds and then a neuro fellowship but rather match into pedi neurology.

many of the peds neuro programs require completion of at least 2 years post-grad, most of the time an actual peds residency program.