Doing ALL the problems from EK 1001?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its taking me forever to complete one lecture. Like 9 hours. Its ridiculous.

THe people that have used EK in the past and are using it right now, do you solve every problem? How long does it take you? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship mine, so I can't answer from experience, but various people have said that they do something like every third question. I think the general advice is that once you get to the point where you have mastered a type of problem you should stop doing it and move on.

I think this is the worst way to study the material. What I did was go over the review books, then go over to the EK1001 books and practice problems with the concepts I had trouble with. The books do a good job of diving all the problems into conceptual sections. Just do problems with the concepts you have the most trouble grasping. If you were to start with page 1 and just do every problem in the book, it would take you FOREVER and it would be counter-productive.

hmm, I still need bio 1001.

Amazon takes for ever to ship. Anyone know how long examkrackers takes to ship it?

Members don't see this ad :)
i did all of physics lecture 1 1001 q's in about 2 hours. but that's pretty basic stuff so i'm sure it gets harder and longer as you go along. i'm planning on doing all of the questions as i go along though... i think it's definitely possible as long as you break it up over a long period of time.

luckycharms08 said:
i did all of physics lecture 1 1001 q's in about 2 hours. but that's pretty basic stuff so i'm sure it gets harder and longer as you go along. i'm planning on doing all of the questions as i go along though... i think it's definitely possible as long as you break it up over a long period of time.

Wow, you're fast. I could never do that many problems in that length of time. I also do every 3rd problem.

AWhitehair said:
Wow, you're fast. I could never do that many problems in that length of time. I also do every 3rd problem.

it was only like 100 questions though... and they were really basic (if you add vector A and vector B, what direction would the summation vector point in?) plus i did it while waiting for my flight at the gate, so I didn't really have any distractions.

luckycharms08 said:
it was only like 100 questions though... and they were really basic (if you add vector A and vector B, what direction would the summation vector point in?) plus i did it while waiting for my flight at the gate, so I didn't really have any distractions.

Oh, okay. Well, I take it back then. :laugh:
How have you been doing on the problems? They like to put some tricky ones in there.

It gets tricky when it comes to projectile problems and problems under constant accelration.
I donno, maybe I m just dummb.
Howeever it does help me to do every problem, because its repetition, which is good for people like me.

AWhitehair said:
Oh, okay. Well, I take it back then. :laugh:
How have you been doing on the problems? They like to put some tricky ones in there.

I really haven't been keeping up, I think I'm going to spend most of the week working on them though (I'm in the EK classroom course, and this week is our "summer break") But overall I did okay, there were some tricky ones though, I agree.

I'm going back and making flashcards right now for all the chapters I've read so far. It's pretty straightforwards for physics/chem, but man, is it annoying for bio :eek:

luckycharms08 said:
I really haven't been keeping up, I think I'm going to spend most of the week working on them though (I'm in the EK classroom course, and this week is our "summer break") But overall I did okay, there were some tricky ones though, I agree.

I'm going back and making flashcards right now for all the chapters I've read so far. It's pretty straightforwards for physics/chem, but man, is it annoying for bio :eek:

I am behind too. I caught up on Tuesday, but somehow between then and now I managed to get behind again. :mad: Oh well, I have tonight and tomorrow to catch up. I am not taking the practice test it tells you to take on the schedule tomorrow. I figured I would wait till next week when I have covered more stuff. I don't want to waste my practice tests...I took most of them when I thought I was taking the April exam.

I did every third one the first time I went through it (like the EK schedule suggests). Then, when I was done going through all the material once, I went through and did every third question on the lectures I did not feel as strong on.

There's no reason to do more than every third question. The questions are very similar and so you'd be wasting a lot of time with the same thing over and over again. You're also wasting practice problems that you could have when you are going over your weaknesses right before the test.

Same here its taking me longer to complete each lecture as I go through the chapters (I'm already on Lecture 6 for physics, bio, and gen chem, and lecture 2 in orgo)...usually physics and gen chem takes me longer (but physics the most) but bio and orgo .....i can complete within a couple of hours.

Takes me...4 hours often to go through any one TPR lecture (ie. per day of lecture)...but I make sure I go through with great depth, paying attention to my logic rather than regurgitation.

Haven't started EK PHY 1001 Q's or even their Verbal 101 passages, I've done their Verbal lectuer book though... gotta pick up the pack

plan on buyin the Gchem, all these questions should be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing all the questions in the 1001 Chemistry book. I feel like I have forgotten a lot since my gen chem class (it was 5 years ago) so I need the review. It takes me between 5-6 hours to get through all the questions in a chapter (I devote saturday to it) but they do seem to help my "In Class Exam" scores in the general EK books.
It does feel like overkill to do them all but then everything about the MCAT feels like overkill.
To each their own I guess, if you feel you need the review (like I do) then do them all if not then only do 1/3.
I would rather spend the time now then get to the real MCAT and not be 100% sound on some concepts.
I should also add that my practice tests scores have been poor so I figure I need to be doing everything I can to try and improve them.

Agree. If you are weak on a certain topic you can do the 10-20 questions that cover it in the book if you'd like.

I generally did every third problem. And marked all the ones I got wrong, were tricky, or got correct for the wrong reason/guessed. I redid those later one remarking once again.

shantster said:
I did every third one the first time I went through it (like the EK schedule suggests). Then, when I was done going through all the material once, I went through and did every third question on the lectures I did not feel as strong on.

There's no reason to do more than every third question. The questions are very similar and so you'd be wasting a lot of time with the same thing over and over again. You're also wasting practice problems that you could have when you are going over your weaknesses right before the test.

one thing I noticed is that if i stop to check the answer right after I do the problem, it takes up a lot of time. it goes faster if you can do like 2-3 pages of problems at once, and then check all the answers together.

It's my third time going over the material. After every section within the lecture, I do the questions in the 1001 book, kinda like I'm doing homework. It doesn't seem so overwhelming when I do it in small chunks.

I've been doing all the questions in the 1001s. After every section in a chapter, i do the corresponding questions in 1001. I finished chemistry, almost done with physics, half way done with bio and orgo. I really beats in the concepts but theres no way i could have done it in only 10 weeks.

^ Yep It takes time! I also do a recap on the chapter and write important notes on big graph paper to be taped on my wall.

Yeah, I'm a freak..lol.

I had never taken physiology (either in HS or college), so I did all of the 1001 bio questions. In retrospect, it was a bit excessive and got tedious quickly, but I was satisfied with my score in the end.

quarterhorsecol said:
I've been doing all the questions in the 1001s. After every section in a chapter, i do the corresponding questions in 1001. I finished chemistry, almost done with physics, half way done with bio and orgo. I really beats in the concepts but theres no way i could have done it in only 10 weeks.

I just got the Ek books, about how long did it take you to get through each book with the corresponding 1001 questions for each subject. .....its taking me super long

It depends on the subject. I normally can do bio and orgo fairly quickly....some topics of gen chem so-so but physics is another story.

karlin009 said:
^ Yep It takes time! I also do a recap on the chapter and write important notes on big graph paper to be taped on my wall.

Yeah, I'm a freak..lol.

atleast you are better than me :eek:
I have OCD and sosmetimes need to solve the problem like 5 times to make sure I REALLLY did understand. But I should start making these wall thingies now. hehe :luck:

tik-tik-clock said:

Amazon takes for ever to ship. Anyone know how long examkrackers takes to ship it?

I think that book is on back order.

I ordered Bio 1001 on the EK website the other day. The customer rep told me that it would take 2-3 weeks for it to ship.

Wow, 2-3 weeks?! that's nuts. When I ordered it took about 4 days but I ordered in early July. I would look into other means if I was in your shoes. At this point 2-3 weeks is pivotal.

i think they're out of 1001 bio... amazon is saying 4-6 weeks to ship it... and i bought mine in june or may and got it in 2 days

luckycharms08 said:
i think they're out of 1001 bio... amazon is saying 4-6 weeks to ship it... and i bought mine in june or may and got it in 2 days

Yes, they were out of the bio book when I ordered too, but my husband called up and complained and they somehow had it shipped the next day. :rolleyes:

MSc44 said:
I just got the Ek books, about how long did it take you to get through each book with the corresponding 1001 questions for each subject. .....its taking me super long

I've been working on it since May 1st. I started out doing 1 chapter per week in bio/phys/chem. It took me an average of two days per chapter after doing the corresponding questions. This probably took about 5-8 hours per day. I wasn't really rushing it though, so with a little more focus, i'm sure this could be done much more efficiently.

AARRgh...my apologies...I just went to TPR class, napped until 1pm, studied straight from 1 pm until 10 pm (eat the lunch in the cubicle)...and all I got done was a thorough review of the TPR chapter on fluids and 1/2 of the problems...I'm so slow...and falling behind schedule...

driving me nuts...i'd study all day if i could...there simply isn't enough time...and i don't work

I bought the EK too, been waitin a week for amazon to ship me mine (Chapters/Indigo is way better)...and hoping that EK will reinforce the fundamental physics and gchem...because TPR has not been able to do so.

tik-tik-clock said:

I just spoke to the EK people, and they don't even have the bio 1001 books in yet. I placed my order about 3 weeks ago and it was on backorder then and now it's another 2 weeks...and only after EK ships their orders out, do the other retailers ship theirs. The wait is KILLING me!