• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

XRanger

15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I want to use 4th year to try as many different electives as possible before committing the rest of my life to anesthesia. I'm already will be taking anesthesia ICU and anesthesia OR at my home institution, and I wanna do an away near my home in a field completely unrelated like radiology or ER. Is there any harm in doing this? My advisor said it wouldn't be a problem but just want to get more opinion
And I'll be honest, part of the reason I wanna do the away is that so I can live at home and safe some money.

michigangirl

15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
as long as its not at an institution where you will be applying for anesthesia residency/highly desired program on your list for anesthesia, go for it. Otherwise, do these "not anesthesia" aways at institutions that you are not planning on applying to.

gasblaster

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I want to use 4th year to try as many different electives as possible before committing the rest of my life to anesthesia. I'm already will be taking anesthesia ICU and anesthesia OR at my home institution, and I wanna do an away near my home in a field completely unrelated like radiology or ER. Is there any harm in doing this? My advisor said it wouldn't be a problem but just want to get more opinion
And I'll be honest, part of the reason I wanna do the away is that so I can live at home and safe some money.

If you have a choice, I would recommend doing it after you submit your transcripts to ERAS. That way it won't show up on your transcripts and you will avoid the issue altogether. If you can't and really want to do that away, then just be prepared to explain it if it comes up in interviews.

psychbender

Cynical Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Nowhere, nowhere at all...
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Wait, is this some kind of faux pas? I did an ID rotation at a hospital that had an anesthesiology residency to which I was applying. Anesthesia morning report was before the IM one, so I just went to their morning conference first, then on to my actual scheduled rotation. I still interviewed with the program while I was there, and it was one of my more valuable MS4 rotations (definitely better than Nephro or Plastics).

I seriously have a hard time understanding what the big deal is.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.