Doing an online master's degree during dental schoo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrophysicsblackguy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this possible and has anyone done this? I've found quite a few part-time degree options that are strictly online.

Members don't see this ad.

Out our school, we all have to take online courses for a Public Health certificate but there is an option to take more courses to get the Master’s degree. It costs more and obviously is more work that just the certificate. I don’t know about other courses, this one is pretty managable to do in addition to our other curriculum. I have heard of other schools with optional Master’s degres.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure when you are planning on having free time for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Some dental schools offer master degree in oral biology at no additional cost. One of my dental classmates got his MS and DDS degrees at the same time. He later got accepted to a very good paid perio residency program.

When I did my ortho residency at another dental school, I saw a few DMD students who took the same classes, which were required for MS degree, with me. Most of these students specialized after dental school. Having an addtional MS degree definitely helps increase the chance of getting accepted to residency programs, especially for ortho and perio.

Last edited:
You won't be able to do it during your first two years. Years 3 and 4 are more manageable.

Also, I know there are schools that have dual degree options like DDS/MBA, DDS/MS, DDS/MPH, DDS/PhD, etc.