mewbao

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi everyone. I'm currently a senior and I have decided to go into pharmacy this past summer and am planning to apply next year. I wanted to finish all my pharmacy prerequisites by the end of next summer so that I could graduate in 4 years, so in order to do that, I'm taking 5 classes this quarter. In addition to that, I am also working.

I am freaking out right now. I have always gotten A's and B's (current gpa = 3.54), but now I am getting a C in 1 of my classes (the rest of the classes I'm getting either A's or B's). I learned my lesson now, and next quarter I'm definitely going to take a lighter load. Is having one C bad especially during the senior year? I know that pharmacy schools like improvement, so I'm worried. This is totally out of the norm for me, because I know that I could get a much better grade, I just need more time. So basically my questions are:

1) Will this look bad for me when I apply to pharmacy schools?
2) Should I opt for late withdrawl? This would mean I have to stay in school for 1 more quarter...so is it worth it? I would also get a "W" on my transcript, but that's better than a "C", right?

Dingolfi

10+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2008
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
i definitely think a W would be much better than a C.. if you have only 1 W in your transcript... because if they are interviewing you and they ask why do you ahve a W in your transcript, you could always back up yourself...

JeremyE30

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I have 6 Cs on my transcript, and I still got into Pharmacy school, and I also had a few interview opportunities. You don't have to be a perfect student to get into pharmacy school. I know of people with 2.7 gpas that are getting into pharmacy school.

If you drop the class it looks like you can't handle the workload. I am taking 6 classes this semester as a senior, and you are expected to take 18 hrs a semester in pharmacy school.

OP
M

mewbao

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
JeremyE30, did you get any C's during your senior year though?

And btw, my school goes by a quarter system, so 4 classes is average. But i guess if I keep the class and survive this quarter with 5 classes and work, I will be totally ready for pharmacy school workload :)

AnhPhung310

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I would not worry especially you are senior now. Upper classes are more difficult. I am in the same situation right now. Most likely I am going to have 2 Cs this semester :( Physical chemistry and quantitative analysis chem are killing me but I decided not to drop since I wanted to graduated next may.
Hang on!!! We almost done. Only two more weeks

msohn88

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I have 6 Cs on my transcript, and I still got into Pharmacy school, and I also had a few interview opportunities. You don't have to be a perfect student to get into pharmacy school. I know of people with 2.7 gpas that are getting into pharmacy school.

If you drop the class it looks like you can't handle the workload. I am taking 6 classes this semester as a senior, and you are expected to take 18 hrs a semester in pharmacy school.

May I ask you something?
Did you get Cs in pre-req subjects for Pharmacy school?

JeremyE30

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
No. I have all A's in every pharmacy pre-req. I have all my C's in social sciences because I did not care about school when I first started.

lymmys

It wasn't me!
10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I don't agree with Dingolfi. I think C or higher is always better than a W on the transcript. Most of the professors have negative feelings that they spent their time for lectures then you withdr. afterward. Cs show that at least you tried. I don't think they will look at what year did you get a C (senior, junior, doesn't matter). A prefered transcript, to me, is the one that either steady A,B; or As. One C will be ok.

WannabePharm88

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
California
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
No. I have all A's in every pharmacy pre-req. I have all my C's in social sciences because I did not care about school when I first started.
I feel not so smart right now since I got B and C in General Chemistry and will get either B or C in first semester of Oragnic Chemistry class.

Ironically, I got As in my social science classes
(those are also pre-req, right?)

andrewattheU

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
i definitely think a W would be much better than a C.. if you have only 1 W in your transcript... because if they are interviewing you and they ask why do you ahve a W in your transcript, you could always back up yourself...
Do not listen to this advice your gpa is fine even if it dips to a 3.3-3.4 you will get interviews worry more about reading up on current events in the pharmacy world and getting some pharmacy experience. My gpa was between a 3.2 and 3.3 I got interview invites everywhere I applied and got accepted everywhere I interviewed. GPA IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS PEOPLE SAY IT IS. Wrting and communication skills as well as your ability to make decisions are for important on a school's decision that one C,