Doing fellowship during general surgery research year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureczar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the columbia gen surg residency page, and noticed that several of the lab residents were doing critical care fellowships. I looked up the brigham and womens surgical fellowship site (http://www.brighamandwomens.org/dep...urged/medical_professionals/criticalcare.aspx) and noticed that they required only 3 years of general surgery to apply. With an added option of adding another year for acute care surgery.

So does that mean its possible to do a clinical fellowship during the gen surg research years? I always thought it had to be some sort of lab/clinical research project?

Members don't see this ad.

Surgical critical care fellowships can be done after completing a PGY 3 year, so yes. However, it depends on your program as to what their requirements are during the research years (i.e. your PD could say no and want you to be in the lab, or not guarantee you a PGY 4 spot at the end of the year). However, you cannot officially get your certificate (i.e. BC in critical care) in it until you pass your surgery boards. Burn fellowships can also be done after PGY 3 completion.

This is not true of other fellowships like trauma, HPB, peds, MIS, colorectal, etc. which require that you first complete 5 years of GS.

Reactions: 1 user
Would fellowships that generally require two years of research to obtain (Peds/Onc) be just as interested in someone who did a clinical critical care fellowship vs. someone who did lab research?

Members don't see this ad :)
Something else to consider is being eligible for paid call during your trauma/CC fellowship. If you've done 5 years of GS, there are programs, like ours, that will pay you a full GS call stipend to cover the ED. In my opinion, if I'm not saving time and shortening my training I'd rather get paid to take ED call. Can't do that after 3 years of GS.

Something else to consider is being eligible for paid call during your trauma/CC fellowship. If you've done 5 years of GS, there are programs, like ours, that will pay you a full GS call stipend to cover the ED. In my opinion, if I'm not saving time and shortening my training I'd rather get paid to take ED call. Can't do that after 3 years of GS.
unless you are at a program with mandatory research time and you don't want to do basic or clinical research and they signed off on doing your fellowship during that time I guess...