Doing MSTP just for two years of free MD, and then dropping out after two years to continue MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drakeyboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Gotten into an MSTP, then did 2 years of MD for completely free (paid living expenses with stipend and all that) and then dropped the PhD part after the two years MD, to continue the MD program (while taking out loans for the last two years).
This way, two years of MD tuition and living expenses are completely free. So if a medical school has a tuition of $45,000 per year, and you use up about $16,000 per year in living expenses, the total whole amount of loans you would have to take out if you do just the plain MD program is ($45,000+$16,000)*4=$244,000.

But, if you do MSTP for two years, then drop it and continue with MD (MSTP's don't require you to pay anything back), you would have to take out only $122,000. Plus, if the MSTP stipend is $25,000, then you may be able to save about $9,000 a year for the two years that you receive the stipend, which gives you $18,000 extra for the other two years of MD saved up. Meaning, $122,000-$18,000=$104,000 is the total amount of loans you would have to take out if you saved up.

That's not bad, right? Has anyone actually done this sort of thing? I know it sounds evil and whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if you can, I had always been under the impression you sign a contract of sorts and you can't drop out of the Ph.D program without dropping out of the M.D. program as well. But I may be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you can, I had always been under the impression you sign a contract of sorts and you can't drop out of the Ph.D program without dropping out of the M.D. program as well. But I may be wrong.
I don't think MSTP's require you to continue on if you switch career paths from what I have researched. But I am wondering if anyone has ever entered an MSTP program just to get the free 2 years of MD.

Dude, no. MSTP programs aren't dumb. These days they make you repay all of the MD tuition if you drop out of the program without finishing the Ph.D.

I don't think MSTP's require you to continue on if you switch career paths from what I have researched. But I am wondering if anyone has ever entered an MSTP program just to get the free 2 years of MD.

I don't think you realize how difficult it is to get into a MSTP. You can't just decide to apply MD/PHD instead of MD at the last second. You need to demonstrate a genuine interest in research and the capacity to have a productive and successful research career.

My bet is that if you could get into a good MSTP, you could probably get some nice scholarships for MD only. There are several schools that are known to have a lot of scholarship money for their top applicants. May as well invest that time into having an awesome MD application.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it sounds evil and whatnot.
That's because stealing taxpayer money from me and the many other taxpaying posters on this forum is evil. Don't do it, and shame on anyone who has.

Last edited:
Trust me, they do not admit anybody who is not completely passionate about research to any MSTP program. And if you were that passionate you would not even consider doing something as insidious as this.

Trust me, they do not admit anybody who is not completely passionate about research to any MSTP program. And if you were that passionate you would not even consider doing something as insidious as this.
Some people definitely slip though the cracks. Most of them genuinely wanted to do an MD/PhD, but realized after one or two years in the program that they weren't quite the right fit for a career as a physician scientist. Others were never interested in a PhD and went in with the intention of taking the money and running. Obviously the people from category B claim that they are from category A.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Some people definitely slip though the cracks. Most of them genuinely wanted to do an MSTP, but realized after one or two years in the program that they weren't quite the right fit for a career as a physician scientist. There are also some who try to take the money and run.

Most people in MSTP will figure out after the first or second year of research, or third or fourth year in the program, whether or not the career of physician-scientist is right for them. If that's what you meant, then yes. Otherwise, the vast majority MSTP applicants have spent enough time in lab to know that they could at least finish the Ph.D.

Most people in MSTP will figure out after the first or second year of research, or third or fourth year in the program, whether or not the career of physician-scientist is right for them. If that's what you meant, then yes. Otherwise, the vast majority MSTP applicants have spent enough time in lab to know that they could at least finish the Ph.D.
Yes, I meant that they figured out whether they actually wanted to be a physician scientist, not if they have what it takes to complete the PhD. I'm sure 99.99% of MD/PhD students have the ability to complete the degree.

Yeah, virtually all of the MSTP's I spoke to felt that the Ph.D component was much, much tougher than the MD. The challenges of research, compounded with the current climate of science funding, makes me tip my hat to those who still wish to pursue careers as physician-scientists. It takes an extraordinary amount of determination and drive.

I don't think you realize how difficult it is to get into a MSTP. You can't just decide to apply MD/PHD instead of MD at the last second. You need to demonstrate a genuine interest in research and the capacity to have a productive and successful research career.

My bet is that if you could get into a good MSTP, you could probably get some nice scholarships for MD only. There are several schools that are known to have a lot of scholarship money for their top applicants. May as well invest that time into having an awesome MD application.

Well, that's what I am saying, is what if someone has it all planned out from the very beginning, and focus their undergrad career mostly on research, without having too much community service that is essential for just-MD applicants.

Some people also get into MSTPs with very little EC's, mostly just research and shadowing, which would not be sufficient enough for the single MD degree, as MD schools want to see a lot of community service work and other involvement.

Dude, no. MSTP programs aren't dumb. These days they make you repay all of the MD tuition if you drop out of the program without finishing the Ph.D.

MSTP's don't require you to pay it back if you drop the PhD part. Other MD/PhD programs (that are not NIH funded) may have different requirements, and may require you to pay back the tuition and stipend.

Tons of misinformation in this thread haha. Above post is correct, MSTP's (MD/PhD programs that are NIH funded), have a requirement to not require any sort of payback if you drop out. Thus, this is a feasible plan, so long as you think of it early in college, do the research that you hate throughout college, and then trick adcoms into thinking you're passionate when you're not. MSTPception.

Seriously though, I've heard of someone doing this from an MSTP director during one of my interviews. So crazy. Imo if you worked that hard for this devious plan, you've earned it haha.