Doing multiple research projects at once

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhefne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I had a question regarding research. I have long thought I have wanted to do neurosurgery but as of late have been leaning much more towards ENT. Since July I have been developing a research project with a neurosurgery attending at my school and he has been of much help.

But, I hear that ENT really likes ENT specific research, so I'm now wanting to talk to someone in the ENT department at my school about starting a different project with them also. I still want to continue my neuro research, but want to begin ENT research since I'm already half through MSIII year. My question is it rude or an unspoken rule to not begin another project simultaneously in another department or should I not worry and just go ahead and get in some ENT research alongside my neuro work. The neuro project is small so doing two at once won't be an issue. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine why this would be an issue. I wouldn't necessarily tell the neurosurg research PI about your ENT research, but as long as you're not slacking on one type of research, what you do in your free time shouldn't matter?

I can't imagine why this would be an issue. I wouldn't necessarily tell the neurosurg research PI about your ENT research, but as long as you're not slacking on one type of research, what you do in your free time shouldn't matter?

How do you have enough time to do rotations, study for shelf exams, and work on multiple projects at the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it matters, to be honest. I doubt the neurosurgeon will care that you are going into ENT. Just do the damn project and finish up your loose ends. If anything that'll make you more palatable to some of the heavy academic residencies which care about how much you publish.

Also, talk about first world problems... "I already have a project, but now I want another project - is this bad??" yeesh.

Feel it out. How heavily invested are you in this nsgy lab? Is the PI going to be mad that you're not picking up another of his projects? I don't think this is something anybody can give you much advice on as we don't know your level of involvement or your PI's expectations.

How do you have enough time to do rotations, study for shelf exams, and work on multiple projects at the same time?

It's not extensive work by far. Also, I have only one project going at this time and I haven't done anything for it the past week since my shelf exam is next Friday.

Depends on the rotation and the hospital, but I have pockets of time here and there my attending tells me to go study. In the 2nd week of the rotation, I'm not going to get a lot of studying done, so I go work on my project.

As long as you have time to manage multiple projects without suffering in areas that matter more than research for residency apps, I see no reason why juggling said multiple projects would ever be an issue.

Neurosurgery and ENT have a significant overlap in skull base surgery. While I doubt your research with either department involves this particular facet of surgery, it is a common ground. If you are able, having multiple research projects is preferable. There is a natural eb and flow of intensity required from a project and having several allows you to be more productive. As mentioned, be careful with the plate spinning game, meaning, make sure you have your priorities in place that classes/shelf exams are top priority, regardless of how pressing a research commitment is. A failed class will not be made up for by a research achievement. Unless, that is, you somehow win the nobel prize next year.