Doing my PhD in Europe, thinking about vet in UK next.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boophilus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I right that UK students pay around 4,000 pounds and foreigners (me, potentially) pay 20,000 pounds per year (BVetMed at RVC)?

If so, anybody around here know if I could somehow qualify as (or apply to be) an EU resident (or something) -- I'm doing my PhD in Europe and will have been here 3-4 years after all is said and done.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think in the US, you won't be able to get in-state tuition if the reason for your stay was academically. Mostly at least?

I'd like to know that, too though. I'm a German citizen, so is there a different tuition for me than Americans?

I doubt tuition is different for foreign students in the US. You probably just pay out of state tuition. Don't know for sure though.

Funny you're from Germany -- that's where I'm at right now and working and going to school.

I know a few German vets. I haven't asked them about their education though / the German vs American education -- I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that. You ever think about vet school in Germany? It must be super cheap?

Members don't see this ad :)
Super cheap and super competitive. I would've never made it in there, which is why I'm trying in the US. ;P

I heard many good things about US vets. I talked to my vet in Germany and heard that they like it when you specialize in the US and then practice in Germany. That's what I'm thinking about doing.

I didn't mean tuition in the US. I get OOS tuition everywhere, but IS at UGA. I'm wondering if I would have different tuition in the UK, because that might influence my decision to apply there if it was cheaper...

If you don't mind me asking.. where in Germany are you?

If you're a German national then I think you would qualify for the Home/EU tuition (4000 pounds). You should def look into it.

Here's what the website at RVC says:

The following requirements must be met for home fee status:

• Persons who have permanent residence in the UK and have been resident in the UK for three years;
  • EU nationals and their families who have lived in the EEA for three years;
  • EEA migrant workers and their families in the UK who have lived in the EEA for three years;
  • Refugees (recognised by the UK government) and their families; and
  • Persons who applied for asylum and have been granted exceptional leave to enter/remain, and their families.
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/Finances.cfm

The UK tuition is only for EU citizens in the process of obtaining their FIRST degree. If you already have a degree, you would not be eligible. Since I have dual US/EU citizenship, I looked into this before I matriculated at Glasgow. The tuition, at 21,500 GBP is guaranteed for all 5 years, so probably still won't be a bad deal compared to my in-state, UC Davis, whose tuition is skyrocketing. The only real advantages I've found to being an EU citizen are that I don't need a visa and I can work if I want to.

The UK tuition is only for EU citizens in the process of obtaining their FIRST degree. If you already have a degree, you would not be eligible. Since I have dual US/EU citizenship, I looked into this before I matriculated at Glasgow. The tuition, at 21,500 GBP is guaranteed for all 5 years, so probably still won't be a bad deal compared to my in-state, UC Davis, whose tuition is skyrocketing. The only real advantages I've found to being an EU citizen are that I don't need a visa and I can work if I want to.
Well that sucks. Any idea if Massey in the Netherlands is the same deal?

Well, I'm applying the first time after three years of college, so I wouldn't have finished my degree yet.. Do you think that'd work then?

Also, which degree would we be applying for? D102/100, right?

Last edited:
PetPony, I asked that specific question at Edinburgh, and the short answer is no. They look at where you have been living and where you have been educated. I believe the BVMS degree is D100; you can apply through VMCAS. Massey is in New Zealand. I don't know anything about either Massey or Utrecht. According to the Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements book, Utrecht requires proficiency in Dutch.

Maybe they do it differently at RVC? I'll e-mail them later today.

Am I right that UK students pay around 4,000 pounds and foreigners (me, potentially) pay 20,000 pounds per year (BVetMed at RVC)?

If so, anybody around here know if I could somehow qualify as (or apply to be) an EU resident (or something) -- I'm doing my PhD in Europe and will have been here 3-4 years after all is said and done.

Thanks for the help.

Boophilus...where is your residency technically/where do you hold a passport? UK vs.EU vs US/Canada are all different with respect to second degrees and which tuition you pay. I know a Norwegian in my class who is on her second degree, but does not pay as much as us. I also know an English resident on her second degree, who pays a bit more than the first time English, but less than us. Not sure on RVC policy, but at least at Glasgow, Scottish residents are free (well, at least for this year, that will probably change). Though honestly, your best bet would be to e-mail the school directly and ask. Probably the only way you'll get the answer you want! :)

Boophilus...where is your residency technically/where do you hold a passport? UK vs.EU vs US/Canada are all different with respect to second degrees and which tuition you pay. I know a Norwegian in my class who is on her second degree, but does not pay as much as us. I also know an English resident on her second degree, who pays a bit more than the first time English, but less than us. Not sure on RVC policy, but at least at Glasgow, Scottish residents are free (well, at least for this year, that will probably change). Though honestly, your best bet would be to e-mail the school directly and ask. Probably the only way you'll get the answer you want! :)
I'm from the US. It seems as long as you're an EU citizen (anywhere), you qualify for 'home' tuition at the UK schools (or at least at RVC). I'd just be happy with that. It's just this second degree thing that's killing me.

Second degree thing seems kind of ridiculous btw. I'm guessing the reason for the foreign vs home tuitions in the first place is due to government subsidization (and only EU citizens who have paid half their salary their whole life in taxes should be eligible for the home). That makes sense. But what about students born in the EU who moved to the US with their family and went thru the US education system (and went to college in the US)-- and then realized they want to be a vet. Those students should still have access to their 'home' country's vet schools-- their parents paid taxes there their whole life before they were born just like the full-time EUers.

Similarly I will have paid my dues here over the course of my PhD. The government recognizes this (they'll give me citizenship). Schools should recognize it as well.

No idea why a first degree matters.

I'm from the US. It seems as long as you're an EU citizen (anywhere), you qualify for 'home' tuition at the UK schools (or at least at RVC). I'd just be happy with that. It's just this second degree thing that's killing me.

Second degree thing seems kind of ridiculous btw. I'm guessing the reason for the foreign vs home tuitions in the first place is due to government subsidization (and only EU citizens who have paid half their salary their whole life in taxes should be eligible for the home). That makes sense. But what about students born in the EU who moved to the US with their family and went thru the US education system (and went to college in the US)-- and then realized they want to be a vet. Those students should still have access to their 'home' country's vet schools-- their parents paid taxes there their whole life before they were born just like the full-time EUers.

Similarly I will have paid my dues here over the course of my PhD. The government recognizes this (they'll give me citizenship). Schools should recognize it as well.

No idea why a first degree matters.

Well...sort of. It's not really "home tuition", at least at Glasgow. EU residents get discounted price, UK even less(and depending on where--N Ireland, Wales, England I think pay different rates) , and Scots are free. I believe Scots at RVC have to pay?

From my experience, students who hold dual citizenship usually do not use the US one to apply, because even the second degree EU/UK cost is cheaper. But if you do that and need US loans, it's a no go.

I understand the rationale behind the second degree bit, but I hear your point as well. Free education is fantastic, but they need to get money somewhere. Vet degrees are Bachelor's here, so if you decide in secondary school you want to do English, that is what you are stuck with because you don't pay. If you change you mind and go back, well, they need to make money somehow and not have people play the system too much. All the schools are now realizing they are falling under though, which is why there is the hike in tuition for everyone(up to 9k). Students are not fans, but to keep the universities afloat, it makes sense. Plus, if they need loans, they don't have to pay them back until they are in steady work after graduation. Though I have to say, my undergrad still cost me more than this degree, even with the conversion rate.

Maybe RVC will recognize you new citizenship? I would ask. The worst they can say is no. Good luck! The UK is a fabulous place to be!

Well...sort of. It's not really "home tuition", at least at Glasgow. EU residents get discounted price, UK even less(and depending on where--N Ireland, Wales, England I think pay different rates) , and Scots are free. I believe Scots at RVC have to pay?

From my experience, students who hold dual citizenship usually do not use the US one to apply, because even the second degree EU/UK cost is cheaper. But if you do that and need US loans, it's a no go.

I understand the rationale behind the second degree bit, but I hear your point as well. Free education is fantastic, but they need to get money somewhere. Vet degrees are Bachelor's here, so if you decide in secondary school you want to do English, that is what you are stuck with because you don't pay. If you change you mind and go back, well, they need to make money somehow and not have people play the system too much. All the schools are now realizing they are falling under though, which is why there is the hike in tuition for everyone(up to 9k). Students are not fans, but to keep the universities afloat, it makes sense. Plus, if they need loans, they don't have to pay them back until they are in steady work after graduation. Though I have to say, my undergrad still cost me more than this degree, even with the conversion rate.

Maybe RVC will recognize you new citizenship? I would ask. The worst they can say is no. Good luck! The UK is a fabulous place to be!
Thanks for all the new info. Pretty complicated though.

Do you know anybody at Glasgow that's a dual US/EU citizen that went to college in the US, and do you know what they pay? Or I'd love their email to hear about the whole process in general.

At RVC, they list 'Home/EU', which is £3375 and 'Overseas', which is £19800. Obviously the difference is enormous. I'm guessing Glasgow is similar. You mention that second degree EU/UK students at Glasgow pay less. The critical thing then is if you're a dual US/EU citizen (and you're using your EU side), when you say second degree EU pay less, is it closer to the 20,000 pounds or the 3000 pounds?

Boophilus, I have dual US/EU (from Portugal) citizenship, completed my undergrad in the US, and am Class of 2016 at Glasgow. I pay 21,000 GBP per year, which is the same as the other Americans. If there are other students here in the same circumstances who pay less, I would love to know! On the bright side, I qualify for US loans.

Boophilus, I have dual US/EU (from Portugal) citizenship, completed my undergrad in the US, and am Class of 2016 at Glasgow. I pay 21,000 GBP per year, which is the same as the other Americans. If there are other students here in the same circumstances who pay less, I would love to know! On the bright side, I qualify for US loans.
Ugh. That pretty much seals the deal. Thanks.

I imagine u were even more frustrated figuring out all this stuff. Your American education ended up needlessly costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars. Good god.