Doing only unpaid internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I am a foreinger, there is some limitation on doing off campus work, and that includes paid internships. I am afraid I might not be able to do it at all due to my plans regarding Co-Op(I am a chemical engineering major).

If I only do unpaid internships, will it look negative to admins? Will they understand why I couldn't do paid internships?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need internships to get into med school. Ideally You need clinical volunteering, shadowing, some non clinical volunteering, extracurriculars, and sprinkle on some research. None of this needs to be paid.

Reactions: 1 user
None of your activities need to be paid. Having paid activities/internships usually assumes a higher level of responsibility and commitment than volunteer work, but if your letters mention these traits anyways, it won't make a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds fabulously relieving...because Co-Op usually takes 3 semester(almost a full year) and I have to keep it below 364 days of full time off campus employment to remain eligible for OPT after college. It's kinda complicated.

Also I have been doing researches since 1 year ago. I guess it can be of any topic?