SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Doing prelim medicine next year and applying for path ... need help

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Levaquin500mg, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Levaquin500mg

Levaquin500mg

Mar 21, 2007
    I didn't match into rads and just finished a path elective which I really loved. Couldn't scramble into a path program because I already matched into my prelim. Here is my question. When I interview for path programs and they ask me why I am doing a prelim year, what should I tell them (the truth or some BS answer)?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sequela

sequela Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2006
    the truth.

i suspect that your transcripts would reflect your interest in radiology (ie 1+ rotations in radiology, pubs, etc)...in other words, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out what happened, esp with a prelim all ready under way. i don't think you'll get very far w a bs answer. in fact, you may manage to piss someone off.

you'll have to demonstrate your interest in pathology. i would spend the rest of this year taking electives, getting letters and some research if you have the time. you will essentially be in the catagory of pgys switching into path from another specialty so it will benefit you to have all these things taken care of before july 1st. i believe you can then try to go outside the match.

4. Levaquin500mg

Levaquin500mg

Mar 21, 2007
    Thanx seq. I already scheduled another elective. and I am in the process of getting letter from my 1st elective. I guess truth shall set me free.

5. I would tell the truth. This would be a better course of action than lying and getting caught...and there are things that can easily nab you such as the Dean's Letter. I remember there was this one applicant this year...cool dude and all but I wasn't evaluating him. The guy who was evaluating him brought to my attention that he had applied to a different, more competitive subspecialty a few years ago. This was reflected in his Dean's Letter which was not modified to reflect that he was switching his application to pathology. He was upfront about it though and it was all good. So don't lie. The only lie you're allowed to tell is that you're loving prelim year :laugh:

6. sequela

sequela Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2006
    that would be even harder to pull off.

levaquin- i think you're actually in a great position given that you have a couple months to put together your path application. most people who end up switching into path from other specialties are stuck in residency without any path electives or letters to show they are well suited for pathology.

all you have to do is get through prelim. good luck.