Doing residency at home institution Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soleil9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have an interesting problem. My hubbie has been offered a job in another city, and is really interested in taking it. I fully support him on this and so I have looked into transferring to the local med school there after this year. Both my school and the new school so far seem to support my transfer, so it looks like that won't be a problem.

But, my problem is this:
If I transfer to the new school, I'm pretty sure that I will need to stay in that city for residency as well. So, I basically will be gunning for a spot in (most likely) OB/GYN at that institution. I really don't know. The program seems great, gets great reviews on Scutwork for all their programs... HAVe any of you been in a simular situation, where you need to stay at the hospital where you rotated 3 and 4th years?

Any help and insight would be appreciated... It seems I have to choose a residency pprogram as a second year, and I don't know what I may be getting into...

Thanks!!
Soleil

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused...why do you have to choose a residency program as a second year? Applications are done during early 4th year of medical school. :confused:

At any rate, should your options be limited, you need to let the right people know (ie, the Ob-gyn program at your new school) that you are very interested in staying, as early as possible. Many med schools take some of their own into residency; this is not uncommon in most programs. So as long as you do well on your clerkships, are well liked, etc. I would imagine you would have a favorable chance.

However, you need to be prepared for the possibility that you won't match there. So you and your hubby need to have a frank talk about whether he would be willing to relocate for you, should you match elsewhere, are you willing to take a year off and try again, etc.

i knew one guy who was so desperate to stay at his home institution that he ranked it 1-7 on his match list - all in different specialties, obviously. luckily for him, i think he got his first choice.

I think what you mean to say is will you have better chances getting a residency spot at this new place or in this new city if you apply from the school you are at now or transfer to the new place for 2 years and then apply??

If that is the case, I think you have a much better shot getting the spot as someone who has already trained there for 2 years as a med student. It is really in their best interest to keep their own for the most part. They already know the system and can continue research they have started as a student....therefor, it's like getting more for your money from their point of view.

As far as "choosing or commiting to a residency program as a second year".... it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice if this is where your husband will be and you want to be with him? Right? I guess, I don't get what you meant by that either.