Doing residency in crappy places and going back to desirable places --> an uphill battle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True. so I better watch my mouth when I am near my classmates and faculty members. I only say politically correct, positive things like "oh you are so smart." "I love medical school," "I love my school," and anything that sounds sweet and is sugar-coated.

My sense is that your main impediment to getting the residency of your dreams is going to be the interview...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh thank God this thread is still open. I didn't see it yesterday and I have literally never had a better situation to use this line on.

"Don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

Reactions: 4 users
I know quite a few rebellious Asians ;)
The form may differ from that some folks are familiar with. And. . .shhh. . .don't tell! THERE ARE DIFFERENT GROUPS OF ASIANS! EVEN DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES! So lucky that there are no rebellious Asians, @BobbyB. . .imagine if the US had got mixed up with attempted revolutions in. . . oh, I don't know. Korea? Viet Nam? Iraq? Imagine if some big power like China had mouthy kids protesting in Tiananmen Square! Like, what would happen then? It's not like the government could send TANKS to mow them down or anything! Yeah, thank God (or genetics) for the sheep-like docility of Asians! (Not that I am biased in any way, of course. I live in a God-fearing church-going educated well-to-do white by birth or special dispensation neighborhood, thank you very much!)

If one does a primary care residency in less desirable places, what would be his or her chance of going back to more desirable places? I am okay with getting my residency training in crappy areas as long as I get good education.

However, I do not want to start a family in these areas and send my future children to schools where only 50% of students go to college. Environment and epigenetic matter a lot and I will not let my future children to be disadvantaged by his or her upbringing and surrounding people and inferior infrastructure.

I want to send my future children to nation's top ranked public schools like Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia or prestigious private prep schools like Phillips Exeter Academy. I will be sending them to Ivy League or top schools and then they can follow their passion and make informed, wise decision about their career path, marriage, and other important aspects in lives.

I also want live with neighbors with similar professional backgrounds and standards as mine. I do not want my neighbors to be part of social problems. It would be much better if they are regular church goers too as long as they are not bigots.

So if I unfortunately end up in low tier residency programs in crappy areas, what must I do in order to go back to these so called desirable places? Should I have research gap years and then apply to better places? I understand that I must choose a primary care specialty and be board certified. What are other things to do to improve my chances?

You already know what the answer is. If you don't do well enough, you suffer the consequences. If anyone could get out of a crappy area, they would. If you failed your first year, you probably won't be in your top choice for residency and thus have to suffer the consequences. Life really is just unfair.

I don't really know any rebellious Asians growing up. But yeah, I am rebellious and I'm Asian! I always feel that I'm a loner in that regard :p

yeah you're so rebellious that you became a doctor

Reactions: 1 users
yeah you're so rebellious that you became a doctor
Exactly! I want to be doctor so I can cut people and be rebellious. That is my only mission in life :D