Doing REU/SIP/SURP and Applying the same time???...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gogogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that I committed to a REU program next summer and I also apply to med school the same time...REU is full time and I am freaking out about time management and getting applications/essays in on time....:scared:Anybody else has experience about this??
REU runs ten weeks - June to August...just FYI....

Members don't see this ad.

I personally haven't had to do this because I'm not applying for awhile, but one of the girls that was in my REU last year was applying to med school at the same time. Ours ran from june-july and we were in a foreign country with very little internet... she was freaking out for the first week or so.. haha. It was kind of stressful at first for her, but you'll probably have a lot of free time at night and on the weekends after planned activities (if your program does that). She managed to finish most everything she needed to and was able to hang out with the rest of us. It's doable!

i did SURP last summer while applying-didn't think it was the worst thing

Members don't see this ad :)
with studying for the mcat, researching, and writing way too many secondaries, your summer will not start off as fun.

My may, june, and first half of july were nothing but sacrifice. But, once all my 2ndaries were sent, believe i had too much fun in the rest of july and august until school started.

It is possible and absolutely necessary to do the REU and applications. Looking at it now, I would have my summer no other way (due to acceptances obviously)

dont mean to sound like a ditz..
but whats a reu/surp/sip?

dont mean to sound like a ditz..
but whats a reu/surp/sip?
haha, no problem...a lot of people dont know
REU - research experience for undergraduate - funded by NSF
SIP - summer internship program
SURP - summer undergraduate research program
in general, they are just summer research programs provided for undergrads. usually comes with stipend and housing..runs about 10 weeks from June to August..Hope it helps~