Doing rotations at a program "On Probation"- and if they lose accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theshellyb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, while clicking around the ACGME site today trying to find something unrelated, I clicked on the link for "Programs with Unfavorable Status". Lo and behold, one of the hospitals that me and my fellow students will be rotating at has their surgery program currently on "Probation".

Now, I'm assuming this is for something relatively minor/fixable like work hours violations. However, in case it's not- does that have any implications for medical students? If next year the program gets their accreditation revoked, would those who rotated in Surgery there face issues? Would there be any problems rotating in Sugery while they're "on probation"? Would medical students have do re-do a sugery rotation in 4th year (GOD FORBID) if their status got yanked? Could this create a scheduling nightmare for people if the program's ACGME accreditation was yanked mid-year before they had their rotation?

Just trying to figure out if this is something I should just NOT worry about, or if I should try to get some more details on the nature of the problem. Appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, no replies, which I guess makes sense as few people are aware of the intricacies of accreditation and have not had to face this issue. How do you page APD around here?.....*looks for button*

Any thoughts on what you would do in my situation? Ignore it? Talk to the dean? Talk to your class president? Not worry about it if I'm not personally rotating there?

Are you an IMG?

If you are a US medical student MD or DO it doesn't matter you don't have to rotate at a residency program. You can rotate with some random doc who spends all day smoking weed out in a field for all it matters. Whether you are with a private practice doc or at a super good academic center or even just at a residency program that is losing accreditation it doesn't matter (although letters of recommendation from legit people helps).

IMG's, since their schools are unaccredited diploma mills, are required to have rotations at ACGME accredited sites, called greenbook rotations I believe. I have no idea what the specifics are on that.

But if you are a US student worry not, because it doesn't matter and no you wouldn't have to repeat the rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an IMG?

If you are a US medical student MD or DO it doesn't matter you don't have to rotate at a residency program. You can rotate with some random doc who spends all day smoking weed out in a field for all it matters. Whether you are with a private practice doc or at a super good academic center or even just at a residency program that is losing accreditation it doesn't matter (although letters of recommendation from legit people helps).

IMG's, since their schools are unaccredited diploma mills, are required to have rotations at ACGME accredited sites, called greenbook rotations I believe. I have no idea what the specifics are on that.

But if you are a US student worry not, because it doesn't matter and no you wouldn't have to repeat the rotation.

Ok, awesome. I'm at a US MD school. My diploma is enough to assuage any fears about the quality of my training, it seems. Fabulous.

Thanks!

Agreed, I wouldn't worry about it. Certainly would shy away from doing a residency there though!

Survivor DO