1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

doing the 10 q passages first?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by medicin, Aug 9, 2006.

1. medicin

medicin Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey guys,

i was wondering if you think doing the 2 10 question passages first makes a difference? I triage, and i dont necessarily do those passages first, but i did for AAMC 9 and my score went up. I think i was lucky, but i was wondering what your strategies are...?

Thanks

2. dopetown

dopetown New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would say do them fully, but not necessarily first.

Someone mentioned in another VR thread about doing the easiest one of the first few passages after reading their first few sentences. I think that's a good idea.

I can only finish 8 passages, so I do them in order, and leave the longest passage with the fewest questions up to the VR gods. Hopefully he likes B's.

3. doyourealize1

doyourealize1 Member
    2+ Year Member

That sounds good to do; In fact, I was thinking about doing the same thing. However there is the 20% chance that I'll miss bubble if I go back and forth on the test which is why I would stay away from that.

4. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

no

just do it in order if the 10q passages are in the middle
    trust me, those passages screwed me and a lot of other ppl with the timing
    it threw me off completely and i was left with 10min for the last 2 7q passages

i still think it's better to warmup with 5 or 7q passages first

5. DrFreeman

DrFreeman Medical Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would suggest doing them in order. One of the ten question passages is usually a harder one. I think the last thing that you want to do is be demoralized doing easy passages or worrying about how hard that passage was.

6. AWhitehair

AWhitehair EM PA-C. MD wannabe
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I agree. There is always one 10q passage that it feels like no matter how long you take to work on it, you just can't break it. I remember spending 17 minutes on ones of these on AAMC 7 and I still missed 4 of the 10 questions. :mad:

7. H and D

H and D Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In my experience the 10q passages always seem to have the hardest questions (although they are usually "easy" passages to read). I do not think I would want to start with the hardest questions on the test. I always do passages and questions in order and mark those questions I want to go back to (esp. the 10q passages) at the end if I have time.

8. 4s4

4s4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've never had time to go back in a verbal passage..ever. I used to, but that was when I was skimming and getting 7's. I think it's a bad idea to focus too much time on those 10 q pasasges. I spent > 15 min on one of those for 7R and got most wrong as well, and missed potential q's in the 5 q passages that were easier and I could've spent more time on in the end.