doing the 10 q passages first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i was wondering if you think doing the 2 10 question passages first makes a difference? I triage, and i dont necessarily do those passages first, but i did for AAMC 9 and my score went up. I think i was lucky, but i was wondering what your strategies are...?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would say do them fully, but not necessarily first.

Someone mentioned in another VR thread about doing the easiest one of the first few passages after reading their first few sentences. I think that's a good idea.

I can only finish 8 passages, so I do them in order, and leave the longest passage with the fewest questions up to the VR gods. Hopefully he likes B's.

That sounds good to do; In fact, I was thinking about doing the same thing. However there is the 20% chance that I'll miss bubble if I go back and forth on the test which is why I would stay away from that.

no

just do it in order if the 10q passages are in the middle
trust me, those passages screwed me and a lot of other ppl with the timing
it threw me off completely and i was left with 10min for the last 2 7q passages

i still think it's better to warmup with 5 or 7q passages first

Members don't see this ad :)
DrFreeman said:
I would suggest doing them in order. One of the ten question passages is usually a harder one. I think the last thing that you want to do is be demoralized doing easy passages or worrying about how hard that passage was.
I agree. There is always one 10q passage that it feels like no matter how long you take to work on it, you just can't break it. I remember spending 17 minutes on ones of these on AAMC 7 and I still missed 4 of the 10 questions. :mad:

In my experience the 10q passages always seem to have the hardest questions (although they are usually "easy" passages to read). I do not think I would want to start with the hardest questions on the test. I always do passages and questions in order and mark those questions I want to go back to (esp. the 10q passages) at the end if I have time.

I've never had time to go back in a verbal passage..ever. I used to, but that was when I was skimming and getting 7's. I think it's a bad idea to focus too much time on those 10 q pasasges. I spent > 15 min on one of those for 7R and got most wrong as well, and missed potential q's in the 5 q passages that were easier and I could've spent more time on in the end.