Doing things backwords

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I first went to a 4 year public institution and didn't really know what I wanted to do, and thus this translated in a very poor GPA (2.3) as I wasn't focused or anything. However, I have now so much determination and will to go the medical route that I look forward to class everyday, and cannot wait until this semester starts up. Here's my question.

At the 4 year I went to, I did sign up for General Chemistry and lab. This was when I was thinking nursing since my family kept telling me about it, yada yada. However, I had no heart in it and thankfully, I got out very early. The thing is, I withdrew the class, but kept the lab, in which I got a B. Now I'm going to a community college to save money, and am wondering, should I take the lab again along with the course or just the course?

Even though I started off lost and with a very poor GPA, I'm very confident in my abilities to pull this off. From what I've read, institutions are far more concerned with grade _____(I forget the word atm), but what I'm trying to say is if I had poor GPA at first, but suddenly and maintained a 4.0 from here on out, I think that will speak for itself.

Members don't see this ad.

You're looking for an upward trend.

How many hours have you taken? You're going to need to take probably around as many hours as you have already taken.

Okay, so I first went to a 4 year public institution and didn't really know what I wanted to do, and thus this translated in a very poor GPA (2.3) as I wasn't focused or anything. However, I have now so much determination and will to go the medical route that I look forward to class everyday, and cannot wait until this semester starts up. Here's my question.

At the 4 year I went to, I did sign up for General Chemistry and lab. This was when I was thinking nursing since my family kept telling me about it, yada yada. However, I had no heart in it and thankfully, I got out very early. The thing is, I withdrew the class, but kept the lab, in which I got a B. Now I'm going to a community college to save money, and am wondering, should I take the lab again along with the course or just the course?

Even though I started off lost and with a very poor GPA, I'm very confident in my abilities to pull this off. From what I've read, institutions are far more concerned with grade _____(I forget the word atm), but what I'm trying to say is if I had poor GPA at first, but suddenly and maintained a 4.0 from here on out, I think that will speak for itself.[/quote]
Good luck with that, you can have alll the brains and will in the world, and sometimes you still wont 4.0 everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation when I returned to school. There are a few issues to deal with here.

1. The AMCAS application that you use to apply to med school is completely unforgiving regarding any old grades. Retakes do NOT make the old grades go away. That means that is you retake your Lab and get an A, you will wind up with a 3.5 when AMCAS averages the two. I would stick with the B, and concentrate on aceing all future classes.

2. AACOMAS, the DO application service does replace your grades...thus it is a bit more forgiving.

3. How many of those courses in that 2.3 are BCPM courses? I had about 40 credits overall toward my 2.3, but none were science. Now 3 years later, I have an AMCAS of 3.3 overall, but a 3.8 science. Many schools consider the science GPA the most important, but not all. My 3.3 has really hurt me in the app process, even though the grades causing it are over 10 years old!

Good luck!

The CC route may not be in your best interest. Yes, it will save you money, but but the adcoms may question whether you can cut it in a rigorous academic environment. Even with a 4.0 CC GPA, they may still question it. This doesn't mean the CC is inferior or didn't provide a thorough education, they just won't know how competitive you are academically since you have shown a poor GPA at the university level.

You need to read more to improve your grammar. Please.
If you do continue to get 4.0 from here on out, or at least a very respectable GPA (3.8?), you'll be fine. However, grades earned at the community college doesn't mean much in the process. Medical school admission committee does not typically respect an education from a CC.

I got my associates degree from a CC and have had no questions about my abilities at my interviews. Finishing gen ed requirements at a CC has little to no bearing on adcom decisions...I've been told this from many admissions directors...

That being said, I certainly wouldn't think about doing "harder" classes at a CC. Take Orgo at a university. Take upper level Bio classes at a university. Doing well after transfer also shows adcoms you are capable.

Again, to agree with the above posters, it is VERY difficult to get a 4.0. I shot for that and wound up at 3.8. At some point you're gonna get a B. It just happens. You get sick around finals, and BAM, there goes your precious 4.0!!!