Dollars per Rvu; a better comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thorg12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having discussion with friend who I think is generating a ton of rvu’s but not compensated appropriately.
I think a good way to compare numbers is dollars/Rvu.
That way my shop which I think sees x pts/hr and his where he's seeing more pts/hr can compare the hourly rates better.
Bascially he makes more per hour than I do; but I think he should be making waaay more than I.
If you know total compensation then just divide by total rvus.
I figure most people get their monthly numbers so they can do it this way.
Tell me if my math makes sense.
Total compensation cme+401k match +healthcare +hourly rate+ any bonus; then divide by hours for $/hr

Total rvus generated by doc not including pa charts at all. Only solo doc Rvu/hr= rvu/hr

Then $/hr x hr/Rvu= $/RVU

What is a good rate?
I'll throw some “hypothetical-ish”numbers out there; combo or me and some other friends numbers.
Generating 5.6 rvu/hr nicely staffed dept not getting crushed.
Hourly rate 210$/hr
This equals 37.5$/rvu

Anyone else care to share?

Members don't see this ad.

One time bump.
Just trying to get baseline to help my friend compare apples to apples.
Anyone wanna chime in?

Having discussion with friend who I think is generating a ton of rvu’s but not compensated appropriately.
I think a good way to compare numbers is dollars/Rvu.
That way my shop which I think sees x pts/hr and his where he's seeing more pts/hr can compare the hourly rates better.
Bascially he makes more per hour than I do; but I think he should be making waaay more than I.
If you know total compensation then just divide by total rvus.
I figure most people get their monthly numbers so they can do it this way.
Tell me if my math makes sense.
Total compensation cme+401k match +healthcare +hourly rate+ any bonus; then divide by hours for $/hr

Total rvus generated by doc not including pa charts at all. Only solo doc Rvu/hr= rvu/hr

Then $/hr x hr/Rvu= $/RVU

What is a good rate?
I'll throw some “hypothetical-ish”numbers out there; combo or me and some other friends numbers.
Generating 5.6 rvu/hr nicely staffed dept not getting crushed.
Hourly rate 210$/hr
This equals 37.5$/rvu

Anyone else care to share?

i've been trying to figure it out myself....
I've heard it calculated multiple ways, including the "benefits are worth x" so now you're making Y
does medscape or one of those polls the anesthesiology groups provide have an answer of what compensation should be?
we've got some pretty savvy people on here i bet would know the answer

Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing the discussions we have when people don't own their business. We look at RVUs, but not that closely. We mostly focus on the stuff that actually pays us-our insurance contracts and payor mix.

Amazing the discussions we have when people don't own their business. We look at RVUs, but not that closely. We mostly focus on the stuff that actually pays us-our insurance contracts and payor mix.

$/RVU is a surrogate marker for insurance contracts and payor mix. Seems entirely relevant to look at all of these things. Certainly for someone on the lower end of the totem pole or thinking about switching jobs, "$/RVU" is an easy way to get a snapshot picture of compensation.

When choosing my current job, I looked at $/patient as an important factor.

Thanks for the replies.
You are right he works for one of the big cmg and is just generating a lot of rvus and seeing a lot of pts and want to make sure he is getting compensated for his revenue generations and the risk.
Of course they don't show him how much he is generating but they do show him Rvu per hr.
He is almost doubling my rvu/hr.
He's generating in the 10-11/rvus per hour. That is him alone. Not with a PA

I think one point WCI is making is that those of us who work in a completely open-book system skip the RVU step when looking at $$.

For example, I know my total attributed income each month. The actual cash that flows to my name/billing. And I know where each penny of it goes.

I can go back and calculate $/hr by dividing my hours worked. I can do the same with $/rvu and rvu/hr. But while I can tell you how much I pull in a month and where it all goes and what % I keep and roughly my $$/hr rate, I certainly can't quote any rvu-based statistics off my head.

Anyway, I went and found the most convenient wRVU data I had around; If he's generating 10-11 wRVU / hr he should be getting paid VERY well unless his overhead is VERY high.

10-11 RVU per hour is typically about 2.5 pts/hour. I usually am right at 4 RVU/patient regardless of where I work. Some docs who do bigger workups on people are at 4.3 RVU/patient or more.